Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 5:27 AM

scotty4537:

What I cant comprehend is,say for example the hole is 4feet 6 inches away,if

you move yout putter in 5 stages,this would surely mean a shot of 30 feet,hence

the ball would finish up 25 feet the other side of the hole

But 1 "stage" is only 1/5th of the distance so just move it 1 for 6 feet.

• scotty4537
    10 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 7:21 AM

YankeeJim - Many thanks for your advice...........................Scotty

• Tigerholesout
    1 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 7:57 AM

Perhaps its been discussed somewhere, but does anyone else have issues with occasional putts not following the initial line when struck perfectly on the swing meter?

I've noticed on a few of the St Andrews holes, specifically #s 1 and 9, perhaps others on various courses.

Thanks for any feedback

Eps

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 10:02 AM

Tigerholesout:
    but does anyone else have issues with occasional putts not following the initial line

Yes and it's very easy to cause. The mistake a lot of players make is looking at the entire line from start to finish and aiming that way. What gets missed is the crucial start of the putt. The line is no good if it starts off wrong and if you don't pay attention to that first 3 feet or so this will happen.

WGTIcon has mentioned it before-he looks at the start of the putt and the end of the putt and aims accordingly and I learned it first person in a game with AHudd. It helped me quite a bit.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 10:14 AM

And remember, putts take less break at the beginning of the line when they're travelling faster.  As they get closer to the hole and slow down the break of the green is of major impact.

• StrangeMagic
    1,304 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 10:49 AM

Doublemochaman:

And remember, putts take less break at the beginning of the line when they're travelling faster.  As they get closer to the hole and slow down the break of the green is of major impact.

Good to see you back DMM, we've missed your posts.

That cuppa coffee was a long one, more like a hiatus?

Welcome back from your break !

SM

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 11:24 AM

Well thank you SM, though I'm not sure I'm fully back.  That cuppa coffee may persist.  I was subscribed to about half the threads on here and my inbox was always full.  One morning I awoke and said "Enough!".  I still play/practice on here.  I do miss the forum cammaradie with a lot of you guys/gals though.  It's summer, I am playing much more real golf.  And sipping gin & tonics afterwards on multiple clubhouse decks...

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 7:28 PM

Doublemochaman:

And remember, putts take less break at the beginning of the line when they're traveling faster.  As they get closer to the hole and slow down the break of the green is of major impact.

and the law of speed and mass applies very little in the first foot,so you definitely have to make up for it,in this game that is.not real golf,different laws

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2011 4:21 AM

• headhunter23
    2 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2011 11:53 PM

Thanks, very good info

RSS