Forums

Help › Forums

Tiger Woods Pga Tour Online

Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:38 AM (96 replies)
  • STUDIOSHD
    180 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 8:21 AM

Yes its true. I just searched it up and saw that it is truly awesome. I'm so looking forward to it.

So far it is a closed beta, so when you sign up for it you will be notifyied if you're the few participants seleted to test it out. If you're not accepted then keep inform of when the open beta comes out later this year.

Course on Tiger Woods Pga Tour Online

Pebble Beach

TPC Sawgrass

Shesan

St. Andrews

Wolf Creek

Wentworth

and more to come.

Player Customization

Instead of being stuck with chossing between avatars, you can create and customize your player to your taste and go into a carrear mode type play just like here on WGT but better.

Tournament

Online competition has never been more fun or more convenient. With an array of Daily and Weekly Tournaments to choose from, you'll be able to find your next challenge any day of the week. And don't worry about being new to the tournament scene because tournaments are divided into multiple skill-levels for Amateur, Intermediate, Pro and Tour Pro level players.

These are just a few about the game. This game is really looking like a big competitor and a winner.

Heres is the link Below

TigerWoodsPgaTourOnline

• GLADSTONESCREWER
    749 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 8:41 AM

Looks good, signed up, maybe there will be more courses to play on this,Gonna stay with World Golf Tour for the time being but i must admit its now getting a little boring  playing the same two courses all the time, i need a little variaty  :)

Screwer :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 8:45 AM

I got picked to test it out, just as a few others did here. Just got the e-mail after about a 2 month wait and immediately tried . It was like playing in a cartoon. Links back in the day puts this to shame. WGT puts it to shame.

I did not take the time to play with all the options they give you-was way more than I care about and not as realistic as you think. In fact, I am hardly in a position to critique TWO at all. I took 3 shots on the first hole and quit.

What I am in a position to offer up is my first impression, which you only get once. Real gamers will love this for all the things you can control-spin it this way,draw it that way and so on.  Real golfers will play at WGT because I don't think you can get much more real than this. Maybe improve a few things, add a few things but  I think the scores we see here are real because of stuff like the supposed "beast" and meterfarts. (I personally don't think there's a fix for the meter thing-everybody has the problem and treated right it isn't really that big of a deal.)

Once WGT starts moving pins and allowing stance and club face adjustments for lies you'll have your hands full trying to stay competitive. If you like being able to control every exact facet of golf (like you really do-uh,huh) go see Tiger. If you want to hang with real golfers, stick around.

Just my opinion.

YJ

p.s., If there's anyway I can hook anybody up with my TWO beta authorization feel free to take it. I still have the e-mail but I don't know how they distinguish if it's really me playing. LOL-you'd have to become a Yankee though.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 8:52 AM

YankeeJim:

p.s., If there's anyway I can hook anybody up with my TWO beta authorization feel free to take it. I still have the e-mail but I don't know how they distinguish if it's really me playing. LOL-you'd have to become a Yankee though.

Dam, I was going to say yes until you said I had to be a Yankee!

• rustynipples
    199 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 9:05 AM

I received an invite to test out the beta and it is like any other game out there. You get the good with the bad, the courses are pretty nice, I will agree with yankee that everything is cartoonish though.

just like everyone before me has said, the scores over there are so unrealistic its crazy. shooting sub 40 in 18 holes. Even if you birdie every single hole, that only gives you a chance to win, you still might lose by 6 strokes.

Depends on what you want to play.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 9:11 AM

Considering I currently lead the 18 monthly tournament here at Bethpage with a score of 57 (which is 7 strokes better than the real golf record low at Bethpage), I'd say were not exactly dealing with reality here either. 

FYI Tiger Woods best score at Bethpage Black is 67.

• STUDIOSHD
    180 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 9:11 AM

EllisSpice:

YankeeJim:

Would've said yes. But I'm a Dogers fan mate.

• STUDIOSHD
    180 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 9:14 AM

tibbets:

Considering I currently lead the 18 monthly tournament here at Bethpage with a score of 57 (which is 7 strokes better than the real golf record low at Bethpage), I'd say were not exactly dealing with reality here either. 

I totally agree because in real life you don't use a meter to swing, and you have no glicthes in real life either. But on both sides of the agrument I like both and will stay with both.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 9:33 AM

Plus, Tiibetts, nothing ever changes here. Move the pin and factor the lies in and you aint shooting a 57  first time. I'll bet you can map every green/pin  out in your mind because they are always exactly the same.

This is real because you and I share the same nuances of the game. You're just better than me. TWO gives you things that I guarantee a large portion of the people playing here have no clue what to do with. I can see how long a 4some would take with all the shot setting up and stuff. Oiy.

I think it would be interesting to see how the reality here equates with real life. I bet you don't shoot 57 at BPB in real life and I wouldn't shoot 70. But if we really played would you be 13 strokes better than me? Maybe, maybe not.

We can pretend here-how much more real do we need?

YJ

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Oct 24 2009 9:36 AM

In reference to the original topic, I'm one of the top players over at Tiger Woods Online, have played in every Beta they've offered, so I can offer the following comparisons:

• The graphics are naturally better here at WGT.  Any CGI created course is going to seem 'cartoonish' by comparison to HD photographs.  As far as CGI goes however, they do a decent job of course recreation.  One advantage with CGI is the ability to create more courses in a faster amount of time.  That is one of the largest drawbacks of the HD photo style used here:  It takes a lot of time and money to get a full 18 hole course ready for stroke play.
    • The adjustment of playing parameters at TWO is far superior to here.  You can change wind speed, green speed, green hardness, fairway speed, pin positions, length of rough, and tee selection.  This makes for a much more dynamic playing environment.
    • The scoring is even lower at TWO than it is here because they use something called "Putt Preview'.  It's a feature that many in the TWO community want limited or removed.  If in fact it were removed from play, then scoring at TWO would be much more consistent with the scoring we see here at WGT.
    • The concept of 'leveling up' attributes over at TWO is a different concept than what we see here at WGT.  It's really a difference in philosophy of marketing.  WGT uses a micro-purchasing model while TWO will incorporate a subscription based model.  The by product of the model here is that to 'level up', you'll have to buy your way up through the purchase of clubs, balls, etc.  At TWO, you'll have to pay a monthly/yearly fee, but then can customize your golfer all you like from there.  Neither one is right or wrong, it's just a difference in marketing is all.
    • The Unity web player used to operate the game at TWO is far less susceptible to lag issues than the Flash player used here.  I've not had any meter issues over at TWO, while we see constantly how meter lag plagues this game.  Perhaps one day WGT will solve the mysteries of calming the meter in Flash, but at this point it's advantage TWO.
    • Multiplayer is still in early development over there.  Right now it's a faster game over at TWO, but less interactive.  They will institute turn-based play similar to what we have here at WGT at some future date, but right now WGT has better multiplayer.
    • Game development, staff interaction, and transparency is far superior over at TWO.  They have staff on the courses all the time answering questions, and they are very forthcoming with timetables of future developments, and what exactly those developments will be.  I have found them quite receptive to suggestions from all players.

Well, there's a few early observations of the differences.  Take from it what you will.

RSS