Forums

Help › Forums

Firefox 6.0 Cache Override

Tue, Aug 30 2011 10:17 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2011 12:12 PM

I use Firefox exclusively for WGT only.  Presently I have the cache set at maximum which is1024 MB.

Currently my cache is at the following level;

1. 968 MB
    2. Utilizing 64332 files and 4111 folders (ridiculous as it seems).

Is there a way to increase the max size limit for cache for Firefox.   

Secondly, what size of cache should we now set are browser for WGT!!!!!

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2011 4:08 PM

BUMP;

It would be great to get an answer from WGT on what size we should be setting our browser cache for.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2011 6:26 PM

I have it set at default and never had issues. So, not sure if there is a specific answerr to that.

-wgticon

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2011 6:47 PM

Firefox 5 and above has a limit of 1024 MB for a cache size. 

Now I went into about:config; and change the following values they are indicated in bold.

browser.cache.disk.capacity;       1537650

browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled;           false

browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run;         false

browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value;   1537650

However, I haven't tried it yet.

If you right click on the folder that has your cache and click on properties, it will tell you the number of files, and folders, and the size associated with them.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2011 7:00 PM

So you set your FF cache size to 1500 MB even though you said FF has a limit of 1024 MB for cache size?  Is that gonna work?

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2011 7:11 PM

Let you know

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2011 9:49 PM

Yes, it does work: You also need to check the following box under options.

Advance Tab on menu bar, then Network Tab;

Under Offline Storage;

Click the box override automatic cache management;  Set the storage to maximum, which is 1024;

Presently cache is at 1.1 gb;

Currently my cache is at the following level;

1. 1.1 GB
    2. Utilizing 71061 files and 4111 folders (ridiculous as it seems).

This cache is directly related to WGT and nothing else!!!

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2011 10:32 PM

Nice to know.

Intuitively thinking now.  All caches no matter how large will eventually get full if you don't clear them. (Like Newton's 4th Law or something.)  Once full, the browser needs to find something to evict from the cache to make room for a new file.  That's gotta slow things down some.

Are you expanding the cache size to delay the inevitable?

And if the cache is 50% bigger would that mean it would now take N % msec longer to fetch it? Is there a point of diminishing returns where a bigger cache slows the browser down?

Anyway, I run my FF cache at the old max, 1024 MB like you were.  I noticed today the game slowed down, putts stuttered, pauses in the backswing, etc., I checked and my cache had 900+ MB used.  So I cleared it.  The next game ran better, loaded OK too.  And I had a 25mbps download pipe.

Again intuitively, adding 50% more paper to my desk wouldn't seem to allow me to work faster.  Hmmmm.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 12:22 AM

I find no impact as a result of the cache size.  Don't forget the directory structure is maintain in memory so the fetch time is obviously not noticeable.  I have not experienced, putt stutter, pauses in backswing, etc.  I find the game is now running smoother than it ever has.  The cache should reach a point where it doesn't expand anymore. 

Reading previous posts regarding the cache size, nivlac had indicated a cache size requirement of 250MB.  Now, obviously that was last year.  Now, the cache has increased 4 fold.  That is a major difference.  That is why I had asked the question what cache size should we set our browsers for.

Shade

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2011 8:53 AM

andyson:
    Again intuitively, adding 50% more paper to my desk wouldn't seem to allow me to work faster.  Hmmmm.

computers don't work intuitively - this goes in to more detail about what you are asking.

• PAGES
RSS