Uphill/downhill

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:00 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2011 10:00 AM

AGArgent:
    I can't be bothered with such analysis; just take a perfunctory glance at the shot, quickly line it up, go ahead and whack the *** and hope for the best and after it comes up short or goes long it's like " damn, WHY does that keep happening!?".

Heh-I play this way to this day. No notes, calculators, charts, etc. I just got tired of not knowing the answer to "Why does that keep happening?" and have played enough to understand why. You see something enough times you're going to figure it out. I'm one that believes this is a very close approximation to the real game and play it the same way as IRL. If you apply simple golf knowledge you learned  IRL to the way you play here it will take you a long way. Just conceptualize your game and you'll do fine. See it in your mind's eye and then execute.  ;-)

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2011 10:34 AM

oooooohh Billy Billy Billy... this is a BIG! one Billy

na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na ...   lol

• SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2011 2:28 AM

WGTicon:

same as this... also, some chips or pitch may show 2ft downhill but at the hole level maybe actually uphill that's why many times you are consistently short

so, your 150 yarder maybe downhill early on but later straightens out or other way around.

That really has nothing at all to do with it. It will have the same effect if its downhill in beginning, all the way or at end IF the total downhill yardage is same. 

I will go with YJ's answer on this one for a change and just accept it. May not be as I have noticed from personal experience out irl on the courses but if this is how WGT will have it, then I'll just have to accept it I guess. 

And WFT has the post before me to do with anything? Why does all morons have to put some stupid reply that has nothing to do with the subject?? Please get them banned from forum or something, PLEASE!

• flaccus
    516 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2011 3:57 AM

SweetiePie91:
    Why doesn't a downhill shot "takes away" as much length as an uphill shot "add"??

Yankee Jim's answer is comprehensive (and very, very enlightening). Buried in it is a starting-point formula: one yard for every three feet of elev. I this works for downhills for the middle irons. Wedges maybe one for 4, woods... dunno.

I'm beginning to realise that, given the randomising algorithms, and given the difficulty of dinging shots, note-taking can take you only so far. You need to observe in close detail, you need a detailed understanding of the physics, and you have to trust that the programmers have this too.

Or you just ask YankeeJim.

Of course, just as in real golf, there is ALWAYS a case, even in the most critical of situations, for JHTFT.

"just hit the effing thing"

A bit like life, really. Or, life's a bit like it. (After 9 months of WGT, I'm no longer sure...)

• SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:00 AM

I agree with some points made but i still believes that it should do SOME difference. Well a 195 club seem to go about 195 weather its 30 feet downhill or a straight shot, ill just have to settle with the unreality of this game lol

• PAGES
RSS