Help › Forums

Lowering your average

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 13 2011 2:33 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:56 PM

I just played a round with a friend on here who just made Master a month ago. He said if he shoots 2 under his avg will go down .10  3 under .15  4 under .20. Why do I have to shoot 4 under to go down .05. Does this have anything to do with how long you have been a Master? First I have heard this, just asking.

• jend222
    106 Posts
    Mon, Sep 19 2011 8:21 PM

My understanding is that normally when u go up a tier ur average will suffer.  The average is base on either ur next 10 to 20 games in ur new tier.  Once that is accomplished then ur average starts to change (hopefully) for the better.  So in your first few games u may shoot a -1 or-2 underpar but find that ur average goes up but as long as u have not completed ur required number of games in your new tier ur average in that tier is not determined.

So it is good that u shoot under par but u will have to be patient.  It will pay off in the end as u will see ur average go down.  When I made Master it took a couple of weeks before my average started going down again (but then again I didn't play a whole lot of games everyday).

Good luck

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Sep 20 2011 7:20 AM

Question is, He made Master this past August, I made it this past February. If he shoots a -2 his avg goes down, mine does not. I have to shoot at least -4 for my average to go down .05. I have  well over 300 ranked rounds as a Master and it is the slow boat to China for sure getting this avg.down.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2011 4:57 PM

No one has answered this yet. Why do some Masters avg drop with a round of 2 under and mine does not. I have another friend on here who has not shot a round better than 2 under, in the last month and his avg has gone from 72.8 to 70.6. Somebody please explain this to me. I have 2 rounds today both 4 under and I have lowered my avg by .10.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2011 7:09 PM

You have to play 30 ranked games at Master level before your average stabilises.

Wherever you are at that point, your average will only go down and not up again.

To make it go down, you have to shoot under your current average.

All averages are calculated on a 72 par, so a 32 for example, translates as a 64.

If you shoot 4 under at StA, that will be 64, whereas if you do the same at one of the par 70 courses, this will equate to a 31, and therefore a 62 overall.

The lower your current average, the more under par you need to shoot to make your average go down. Where a 4 under would at one time have taken you down point 8, as you lower your average, this will then only take you down point 4.

There comes a time, as you approach 63 average (The break point where you get moved to Tour Master) when you will need to be shooting better than 4 under to make any downward movement at all.

Anyone with a high average will therefore experience larger drops in their average, for a simple two under than someone with a low average can expect.

As if you are not by this time completely disheartened, when you actually make the next tier, in your case Tour Master, your first ranked round will determine the average at which you begin the slide into legend shoes. This is because the average is re set, and that 63 you earlier achieved is now but a memory.

Ancient WGT folklore states that only 2% of brand new tour masters shoot 63 or under on their first ranked game. Everyone else shoots 84.

Multi accounters on the other hand, and sandbaggers, are completely immune from all of these rules and are also invisible to the administrators- but we all knew that anyway.

Lizzie xx

• manabouttown11
    573 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2011 7:31 PM

I have played 40 rounds as Master and my average goes up and down. I am assuming it is because i have not played enough rounds at Master yet. No big deal i expect to be penalised for a bad round.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sun, Sep 25 2011 5:08 AM

manabouttown11:

I have played 40 rounds as Master and my average goes up and down. I am assuming it is because i have not played enough rounds at Master yet. No big deal i expect to be penalised for a bad round.

Weird. I counted all of my ranked rounds through TP to Master to Tour Master and my average stopped going up after 30 ranked at Master. It stopped at 50 ranked at Tour Master.

I guess there is more to it than met my eye at least then.

Lizzie xx

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:03 AM

Thank you Lizzie, now it makes more sense.

• hotcarrie
    865 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 1:22 PM

my average was moving a little provided i shot -5 or better. my first game today i shot a 31 -5 on st andrews and it did not move at all. so i can only assume that i now need to score -6 to move my average.

Does anyone know if this can be right? i have never heard anyone saying that they need -6 or better to lower their average

• Lashe
    824 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 4:53 PM

Hi Carrie. 

Your current average is 61 and change.  A 31 on 9 would equate to 62 on 18.  As a score of 62 is higher than your current average, it would make sense that in order to continue to lower your average you'd need to now score 30 or less over 9 holes.

At least that's my understanding of how average works.  Its simply math.  Add up all scores on rounds played (doubling 9  hole scores) and divide that total by the number of rounds to get actual average. 

Hope this helps answer your question.

Lashe

• PAGES
RSS