Help › Forums

Lowering your average

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 13 2011 2:33 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2011 5:19 PM

Actually, in order for your avg to go down (once you've reached the required number of rounds in tier) is you have to post a lower score than one of the highest scores....

i/e, say you have 49 rounds of all 65 and 1 round of 75.

You have an avg of 65.2

Now you shoot a round of 70

Your average drops to 65.1, as the 70 replaced the 75.

The above assumes the "50 round limit" for a TM before higher scores are not counted anymore.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Sat, Dec 10 2011 4:11 PM

I'm a master & my ave. goes down only if i shoot 4- in a nine hole round or 8- for 18.

I'm assuming I'm shooting to break 63? To level up to TM? lol whatever.

If the law of ave. on these lip outs pop outs,  & frickin putts that just 'shoulld' have gone in,,I'd have a 59 ave. I suppose that's how they rig it keep you at the cpu & on their site.

• Lashe
    824 Posts
    Sat, Dec 10 2011 9:52 PM

BubbaCrusher007:

I'm assuming I'm shooting to break 63? To level up to TM? lol whatever.

For most everyone else this would be correct Bubba.  However, for a Crusty Curmudgeon such as yourself....add -2 strokes per round to beat that average down.  ;)~  lol

Just kidding you cantankerous old fart!  Always get a smile out of your posts.  :-)

Lashe

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Mon, Dec 12 2011 7:36 PM

Thanks Lashe,,even i need to smile once in a while.

One of these days I'll shoot a 25 & everything will be fine as wine.

• Danmark2010
    805 Posts
    Mon, Dec 12 2011 11:22 PM

hotcarrie:

my average was moving a little provided i shot -5 or better. my first game today i shot a 31 -5 on st andrews and it did not move at all. so i can only assume that i now need to score -6 to move my average.

Does anyone know if this can be right? i have never heard anyone saying that they need -6 or better to lower their average

Play Bethpage and you see your average is moving and make -5 if you can  and of corse tournaments green.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Tue, Dec 13 2011 12:26 AM

hotcarrie:

my average was moving a little provided i shot -5 or better. my first game today i shot a 31 -5 on st andrews and it did not move at all. so i can only assume that i now need to score -6 to move my average.

Does anyone know if this can be right? i have never heard anyone saying that they need -6 or better to lower their average

Everyone's average is unique, in that they are computed from an individual's x number of best scores (depending on their tier). Therefore, everyone's average will change, or not change, depending on what ALL of their previous best scores are. For simplicity's sake, let's say the number of required ranked rounds (x) -- at which your average stops going up -- is 5. 

Player A's best scores are 65, 65, 67, 68 and 72. Average:  67.4

Player B: 64, 67, 68, 68, 70. Average: 67.4

If Player A shoots 68, her average will now drop to 66.6, the average of her new best scores of 65, 65, 67, 68 and 72 68 (even though the 68 is higher than her average.)

If Player B shoots a 68, his average will drop slightly less (to 67.0), because the new 68 is replacing a 70, not a 72.

However, both A and B now have to shoot better than 68 to lower their average, because that is now their highest best score. (The math will all change each time you shoot a score that is better than your highest best score).

If your highest best score is 5 under par, then you would have to shoot better than that to lower your "average."

• cruelcaddy
    14 Posts
    Tue, Dec 13 2011 2:33 AM

This wa very helpful information. You are "in the know". Thxs

• PAGES
RSS