Forums

Help › Forums

classed as "out of bounds" its a joke right??????

Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:24 PM (5 replies)
  • troyronaldson
    382 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:19 AM

classed as out of bounds what the????????????????? St Andrews Links: The Old Course view |

• Ecka65
    245 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:56 AM

Was there a good reason you went that way?

I suppose if it ends up "off the hole map" it is deemed OB.  Seve Ballesteros would have a coniption as he rarely played the British Links courses "on the hole map" but there you go.

When I saw the thread I thought is was going to be one of those mismatches between the photograph and the programme - like when it says you're in the rough but you're playing off the fairway in the picture.  But I was wrong.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 1:36 AM

Troy, I couldn't figure out exactly which location you have in mind, but there are definitely areas where WGT should extend their map. On the back nine, normal play on a couple of holes (13 and 14, I think) brings the neighboring fairway into play, yet just a little bit of it is considered inbounds for WGT's purposes. Similarly, I lost a ball when my approach trickled a bit past the 17th green, near the 18th tee. It would have been an entirely normal location to play my third from in RL. Next time I'll be more careful.

• xtabent
    2,281 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:06 AM

sorry mate but as they say it's out of the map..you can go that way but not as far left..

X

• troyronaldson
    382 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:04 PM

thanks guys for your input. but i have hit it that way several times when the wind is 30mph toward me so not sure what happened. nevermind back to it :)

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:24 PM

hole 14 at St Andrews is the one I think you speak of.

It is tough because into any real wind from the Legend tees you are often forced to play over there to end up with about 160 to the pin or play short and straight leaving you with 200 yards in.  Several other places on the course have this issue but 14 and 17 are the only two places that are really in play.

Basically when you see the overhead course map, you can tell where the off map areas are and need to learn to avoid them

RSS