Forums

Help › Forums

Calling all Legends

Sat, Oct 8 2011 1:03 PM (39 replies)
  • hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 10:17 PM

Just want to pick your brains.

I really want to make Legend.  Any time that I announce that while playing any multiplayer rounds with a legend present a lot of them will respond with "don't do it" or,  "you won't like it" or something along the lines of that.......

Anywho,  what's your thought on being Legend?  I think the extra challenge will make it more fun.  Besides I already have all the gear for a Legend.

This driver/wedge game ,although fun, can get boring.  I have tried the "I'll just tee off with the 3wd approach"  which leaves longer approaches but I don't get the green speeds or the par 3's are still from the master tees.  

Just tired of the dust collecting on my mid-irons :-)  Besides, a new topic not based around a complaint seems to be needed around these parts.

Hp

Please do not look at this as way for me to talk myself out of it,  I will continue to camp out at St A's until I make it lol.  

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 10:36 PM

Good for you. This site needs more players like yourself.

I enjoy the game just as much at the Legend tier as I did at master or tour master. Probably more just because of the reason you stated. Driver, wedge, Rinse, repeat.

If you're at a high enough level for the best equipment (sounds like you are I didn't look sorry) then you shouldn't have any problems.

• Richard1969
    34 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 10:38 PM

There is definitely a culture shock when one first becomes a legend.  But if you are good enough to become a legend then you are without a doubt good enough to learn the game all over again...  which you basically have to do, lol.  If you have the equipment, then there's no reason to NOT try and become legend.  Keep playing St A front 9 and you will eventually get there.  Good luck!

Richard1969

• FlyinDoc
    201 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 11:24 PM

My advice would be to NOT camp out at Andys and make Legend. If you are going to make it, earn it by playing everywhere. It's the best way to prepare yourself for the challenge of the longer tees. Otherwise, you may find the Tier too tough.

Cheers.

• standin
    1 Posts
    Wed, Oct 5 2011 11:45 PM

It just makes it a bit harder to birdie every hole! But to be honest, where's the fun in that anyway. St A back 9 helps break up the monotony but still good for sub 30's :)

Have fun

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2011 12:08 AM

Ya gots lots of time, enjoy your ride

• Ecka65
    245 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2011 1:19 AM

I'm very close, DON'T have all the gear but can use what I got, and am trying my heart out to get there!

As for the St A advice, in my humble and personal opinion forget that regardless.  I refuse to pay to play that damn course in any type of competition because the wind alone can make the difference of 4+ shots.  Get lucky, easy peasy.  Get screwed and you get beat by someone who gets lucky.  I play St A like I play a local public course - for fun and practice only.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2011 1:38 AM

FlyinDoc:

My advice would be to NOT camp out at Andys and make Legend. If you are going to make it, earn it by playing everywhere. It's the best way to prepare yourself for the challenge of the longer tees. Otherwise, you may find the Tier too tough.

Cheers.

I agree 100%. Don`t force the issue. It`s great you`re not afraid of the legend tier but get yourself better prepared for it. If you`re not shooting low enough on All (or at least most of ) the courses to qualify for legend...then you really don`t qualify for the legend tier.

I`d suspect that the "legends" who said "don`t do it" etc. were ones that "camped out on St. Andrews and Kiawah" leaving them unprepared for the challenges of the longer tees and faster greens.

Rather "camp out on Bethpage and Oakmont" and watch your overall game improve tenfold ;-).

And as was said above...Enjoy the ride , GL

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2011 2:05 AM

I would be in the "dont do it " category, but only because i struggle at Legend myself. No, i didnt camp out at ST A either, but played all courses on the way. But i will say that if you are good enough and willing, then go for it. Its definitely harder at the back tees, but be prepared for lots of hair pulling and screaming at the screen, lol. Oh, and be prepared for TM's out driving you from the tee box in games, not fair, but hopefully something WGT is working on.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2011 4:28 AM

mefitz:
    Rather "camp out on Bethpage and Oakmont" and watch your overall game improve tenfold ;-).

Is it just me who finds Bethpage maybe the easiest of the 6 courses (I refuse to count Cabo)?

To the OP, the reason for the naysayers is that the designers of the game foolishly included absolutely no incentives to get to Legend.  Everything gets harder, there are no advantages save some balls that may or may not be imperceptibly better than those anyone can use.  You will find yourself in alt shots playing against TMs and hitting a drive 8 yards longer than they did, but you'll find yourself 30 yards behind them on the fairway.  Unless, like me, you are a level 87 Legend and you find yourself competing against a level 90 TM that already has better equipment than you are allowed to get, then the disadvantage will be more pronounced.  Almost every WGT-sponsored competition you enter, you will find heavy winds.  Almost every RG you enter, you will find heavy wind.  Occasionally, you will enter an RG, and find championship greens, which you only ever get to 'practice' on at major tourneys.

In short, WGT screwed the pooch with the tiers, actually adding incentive to the sand-baggers.  And with all that, I echo many of the sentiments here.  Don't hesitate to tier up to Legend, but don't do it playing one course.  Play them all, and let your average do what it does.  I went for Legend because I try to do the best at anything I attempt.  I do not see the sense in attempting things otherwise.

My hope is that someday soon, WGT will realize what horrible decision making on their part went into the tier system as currently in place, and do something to make tier elevation desirous and not just a hinderance.  But of late, they seem to be unable to find their @$$ with both hands and a map, as evidenced by the fact that the Bouvet Island faction is still playing Unlimiteds, so I am not holding my breath.

I have sent them e-mails illustrating how it is directly due to WGT's errors that we have the sand-baggers and multi-accounters.  As yet, they have not made the changes needed to fix the system.  Not sure what they are waiting for, but their reticence is driving a lot of good players who have invested a lot of money with them away.

RSS