Forums

Help › Forums

Someone please educate me

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:21 PM (6 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 7:27 AM

First this is not hitting the ball to hard.  How can the green show a break ( balls are moving, they really are moving not just seeing things ) and the ball does not break.

Totally confused , then on the other hand you can be within 1 foot of the hole and if you don't play the break ( thinking well I'm too close for the break to matter ) BAMM you miss.

• cycle1979
    1,555 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:02 AM

Practice practice practice... also... be sure to have a decent putter (I recommend the daytona) .. you will figure it out but there is no one way fits all solution.

• Cleworthy
    3,468 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 10:58 AM

I assume that you dinged the putt.  That being the case, I don't remember a break not breaking in over 500 rounds - short of 30mph cross wind maybe.  If you hit a little early on a left to right break (or vice versa) that might cancel out the break.  On 1' putts aim for the middle and hit it 2'.  :-)  C

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 3:39 PM

I assume that you dinged the putt.  That being the case, I don't remember a break not breaking in over 500 rounds - short of 30mph cross wind maybe.  If you hit a little early on a left to right break (or vice versa) that might cancel out the break.  On 1' putts aim for the middle and hit it 2'.  :-)  C

Yep, hit the ding and there was a break , the balls were all going the same way, and it was about a 5-6 foot putt

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 3:42 PM

There's one putt on Congressional somewhere that shows a break and doesn't break.

That's for sure.

• Kindle2010
    602 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 5:00 PM

"First this is not hitting the ball to hard.  How can the green show a break ( balls are moving, they really are moving not just seeing things ) and the ball does not break."

I think you are answering you're own question - if you hit the ball to hard you will take out the break, this is often done on short hard breaking putts for that very reason. The question is how far past the hole did you end up?

Have a good read of Putting tips, distance control in the game tips section.

And as stated practice, play and practice some more. You may also take notes of youre putts and results for future reference.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:21 PM

Always, always, always check the reverse view on ANY putt that doesn't show the direct line to the hole.  If your view is at an angle, check the reverse.  I have seen putts that show break due to angle, then have none from the back (straight) view, and vice versa.  And especially if it is a short putt showing angle.  I have hit putts from 3' without looking that showed an angled view, and missed them.  I'm pretty certain from reverse I'd have discovered why I missed.

RSS