Forums

Help › Forums

Lower tiers vs Higher tiers

Thu, Oct 20 2011 5:44 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • dacrash
    475 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2011 12:28 AM

I am a Master tier player.  I have noticed that when I play a person with a lower tier they shoot way better than thier average and end up winning the round.

It has happened to me several times, enough to start noticing it.  It also happens when I play a person a tier higher.  I end up shooting below my avg. and the T.M. or Legend end up losing the round.

It has gotten to the point that I will search for games to join that are against my same tier or higher (I might win one).

Just finished a round with two T.P.'s, and 2 M. including myself.  I had the lowest average score of the 4 of us.  I finished +1, the other Master finished E and the two Tour Pros both finished -1 beating both of us Masters.

Sometimes it is my poor play, but generally (like tonight) it is putts right on line, stopping 1" short, curving on an arc to hit the hole, only to straighten out at the hole, then finish its arc.  The lower tiers putts go in from 30+ feet, balls bounce out of the rough and such.

To get to the point: has anyone else noticed this, or am I just imagining things?  I probably should keep a log, but really dont care that much.  Just wonding if it is just me.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2011 2:11 AM

Not sure this will answer your question, but you should know that when you play players from other tiers they play a different course.  And depending on what equipment each player uses, it's possible they could have a big advantage. 

What I don't like about this system, is that clubs are unlocked with no consideration to tier.  I am in the Legend tier, and I rarely find myself farther down the fairway against players in the lower tiers...even though I have the longest driver available.  That's because anyone can have those clubs if they have enough points. 

I am not saying this is right or wrong, just be aware of this when playing guys in the other tiers.

Joey 

• dacrash
    475 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2011 9:52 AM

Joeyola:

Not sure this will answer your question, but you should know that when you play players from other tiers they play a different course.  And depending on what equipment each player uses, it's possible they could have a big advantage. 

What I don't like about this system, is that clubs are unlocked with not consideration to tier.  I am in the Legend tier, and I rarely find myself farther down the fairway against players in the lower tiers...even though I have the longest driver available.  That's because anyone can have those clubs if they have enough points. 

I am not saying this is right or wrong, just be aware of this when playing guys in the other tiers.

Joey 

Hi Joey,

I am aware that lower tiers use different tees.  This is not the issue really, after the drive, play evens out.  What I'm noticing is that lower tiers will generally win rounds or be extremely close at the end of the round.

In most instances, it is a "random" event(s) that determine the outcome of the round.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2011 10:48 AM

Masters are generally worse than Tour Pros in terms of scoring. This is because all the Masters are still adjusting to the tees. The tiers on this game are like a gear box - after you tier up (or gear up) it takes a while to get up to your previous average (or revs). When you do, it goes back down to a bad average (or low rev). At the highest tier (or gear), the only way is up.

• Rzbk
    376 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2011 1:21 PM

I'm a pro player. I've played several games against higher ranks and have lost all but one.

I actually beat a Master, felt really good and now find out my win was because the course favored me.

Oh well, with the number of times the course hasn't favored me, I should feel good the course Gods were smiling on me. Funny though, I don't. 

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2011 1:53 PM

I have noticed this on several occasions. I will shoot 4 or 5 Stroke games and everything is pretty smooth. I'll switch to AS and put TP or higher. For some reason my R11 seems to lose several yrds in distance, a 12 mph head wind will just kill it. What little forgiveness there is with missing the ding just a hair, is grossly  exaggerated, can't hit a fairway to save my life. Putts I was making in stroke game, all of a sudden seem to lip out or stop short. Thought it was just me, guess it's not. Must have something to do  with WGT's parity program. NOT, LMAO. That;s why I tell pros and tour pros, don't quit, you can win this match.

• Reaytj
    114 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2011 2:51 PM

renniw52:

For some reason my R11 seems to lose several yrds in distance, a 12 mph head wind will just kill it. What little forgiveness there is with missing the ding just a hair, is grossly  exaggerated, can't hit a fairway to save my life.

My level 80 R9 seems to bore thru the wind just fine, and rated at 280 yrds, why use the unstable R11....Give it a try, and............

Hit em straight & have fun,

Jeff

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2011 3:24 PM

Reaytj:

Hit em straight & have fun,

Jeff

Do you play MPC Jeff, or just for fun?

Reason I ask is:

MATCHPLAY
    REAYTJ
    VS. Hack 2 - 0
    VS. Amateur 10 - 0
    VS. Pro 73 - 1
    VS. Tour Pro 56 - 3
    VS. Master 25 - 2

Current Month Match Play Points

Why not play some ranked rounds and Tier up?

• PAGES
RSS