*** Downtime tonight 5/25/21 ***

Wed, Jun 2 2021 12:38 PM (45 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,502 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2021 5:40 AM

ScottHope:

⇩ hover to reveal ⇩

I found this technique a bit like click bait ;)  great stuff 

None of this surprises me.. there was only one factor that might have given me pause...

But all of these kinds of factors and/or others can be assigned to virtually anything, including the player profile itself that can tweak how the game plays for you from one shot to the next... i often referred to it as a player profile quotient or factor that varies or deviates over the course of play... and that factor or combination of factors are what can account for the increased or decreased variance or what some call vem at times from one day or round to the next.  Problem i had was coming up with a formula or algorithm that could simply convey that and i could not check under the hood or behind the curtain as you describe. Oh and it is not simple... there is some complex stuff going on there.

Beyond that, yea, i agree clubs are still virtually the same... if there was a slight competitive advantage with newer gear other than how they look, i think more people would upgrade especially those with credits to burn.

• Cicero733
    2,307 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2021 7:46 AM

pdb1:
    This platform is different . At least for me . More performance altered periods on a multiple time a day occurrence .

+1 especially in the late afternoons

• el3n1
    4,502 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2021 12:38 PM

sorry been preoccupied lately and we had a holiday weekend.  

pdb1:
      No . In my opinion VEM . Cannot be seen or felt . VEM adjustments are more subtle and precise .

that is the nice thing about variance or VEM or whatever gaming algorithm you like to think about... several people can view the game differently and many can be correct based on that person's experience or observation.  

That person's experience or observation will remain true for them, until their observations and experiences begin to incorporate different understanding of the game. 

I in no way, view the game exactly the same way, I did when I first started. My thoughts, my views and my observations grew and developed and changed over time... and I have to admit, I still don't know it all... but I also feel my experiences and modest amounts of success has suggested I may have learned more than the average player.

I still see and learn new things though.  

btw - trying to discuss VEM which is a very diverse topic and can mean a lot of different things to different people is like trying to catch a greased pig at the county fair - even when you think you got it, it can slip away - it is an elusive topic with a fair amount of strong opinions and sometimes those opinions are based on completely different interpretations so people are not even debating the same thing. 

so - I will pass on trying to join the greased pig challenge this time.  : ) 

RSS