Forums

Help › Forums

Ball at rest moved

rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 5 2011 10:16 AM (9 replies)
  • lccchopper
    39 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2011 1:53 AM

Hi all.Seen a strange thing happen today. Player's ball was at rest on the green, next player hits ball from off the green and the ball knocks into 1st players ball, only moved it marginally. But what would happen if the players ball was knocked into the hole? Of course there are many many senarios that could have taken place, ball knocked into hazard, or 10yds farther from hole , etc, etc,.

As i am sure most would know that in a real life situation then Rule 18 - 5 comes into play. " If a ball in play and at rest is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke, the moved ball must be replaced".

So my question is, what would happen if the moved ball had went into the hole?

Thanks in advance. Dave.

• Adamcp
    10 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:13 AM

Balls in this game don't affect each other at all, they pass right through one another as if the ball at rest isn't there. 

--At least according to all my experience.  Could be wrong, but i doubt it.

• lccchopper
    39 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:26 AM

Adamcp:

Balls in this game don't affect each other at all, they pass right through one another as if the ball at rest isn't there. 

--At least according to all my experience.  Could be wrong, but i doubt it.

Yes Adam i would agree with you . This is the first time i have ever seen this happen, and belive me it did.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2011 6:41 AM

I believe it happened because I saw it myself once. It was bizarre. The ball rolled right up to the other one and apparently pushed it. After studying the replay trying to figure out how that could happen I realized that the ball actually passed  through the other one, making it look like it pushed it.

• lccchopper
    39 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2011 7:24 AM

Thanks for the reply Jim.

I found it to be rather an odd thing to happen, but all 3 of us playing seen the ball at rest move. I am an RO ( not that it carries any weight here) so i can only judge on what i see as being real, and judge accordingly. I can only hope that there are others out there that have seen this occur before.

I wait in hope. Dave.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2011 7:30 AM

Actually, now that I think about it, it couldn't have been in a replay because you can't save replays in MP. I do remember it happening and my theory was just the way I explained it to myself

IRL I think if your ball hits another one on the green the other guy gets a 2 stroke penalty-something like that. I'm sure the rule book has provisions for it. 

• lccchopper
    39 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2011 7:57 AM

Thanks again Jim, my sanity is still intact after reading your last post.

Yes you are on the right track re- penalty for striking another ball on the green. Rule 19-5.

If a player's ball in motion after a stroke is deflected or stopped by a ball in play and at rest, the player must play his ball as it lies.In match play ,there is no penalty.In stroke play,there is no penalty unless both balls lay on the putting green prior to the stroke, in which case the player incurs a penalty of two strokes.

Dave.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2011 8:09 AM

wouldnt that come in to the 'mark your ball' theory. so if you mark your ball on the green there should be NO reason for the balls to hit each other.

• lccchopper
    39 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2011 8:15 AM

gsoup:

wouldnt that come in to the 'mark your ball' theory. so if you mark your ball on the green there should be NO reason for the balls to hit each other.

Yes, players SHOULD mark there ball on the green, but! on occasions they don't, but that is way off track on my O.P. and would have start a whole new thread on  Rules.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2011 10:16 AM

LOL.  If I'm playing golf with guys that don't know  green etiquette they would learn real quick and play with somebody else next time. Nothing more aggravating than guys walking in your line and having to be asked to mark their ball. 

I figure it would be cool to have a feature like that but it would be unnecessary fluff to the game.  Meh.

RSS