Forums

Help › Forums

Advanced Putt Reading

Sun, Nov 13 2011 5:11 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jmehdi
    50 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2011 9:48 AM

I've recently added a factor into my putt reading which has increased my accuracy in certain circumstances. Just thought I would share it. Hope it helps.

The scenario is a putt with a severe break in relation to the elevation. As always, green speed should be taken into account.

Let's say you have a 12' putt with a severe right to left break and the hole is uphill 2". Logic states that you should aim right and hit the putt the equivalent of a 14'er-ish.

If you use your target to trace the projected path of the ball, you will see when and where the break happens much more accurately than just looking at the grid.

Sometimes you have to go uphill 4" or 5" and then come downhill 2" or 3" after the break. This putt will usually end long and right of the hole, because the first half of your putt doesn't have enough power to get it high enough and last half of your putt is actually a downhill 6 footer even though it's 2" above where you started.

Sometimes the putt is a constant 1" or 2" above along the whole path to the hole, in which case your speed will be correct.

Sometimes the putt will be level at the beginning and rise sharply halfway there. In that scenario, the putt will weaken and die high and short of the hole, because the ball was traveling too fast at the beginning to be affected by the break and didn't have enough power to get back up the hill once it slowed down.

Knowing the elevation of the hole in relation to your starting point is a great benefit, but it's only half of the story. Knowing the elevation along the whole path to the hole will result in more made putts and tap-in pars.

My next area of focus will be on how (or if) wind affects putts...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2011 12:04 PM

jmehdi:
    Let's say you have a 12' putt with a severe right to left break and the hole is uphill 2". Logic states that you should aim left and hit the putt the equivalent of a 14'er-ish.

The putt breaks right to left and you aim left?! That's news.  I'd bother to read the rest but I can't get past this. Tell me you meant to say aim right.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2011 12:37 PM

Sure YJ, must have meant right, the error in the post can be fixed by clicking on edit and rewriting again what you intended. We occasionally make mistakes when writing, I sometimes mean push and write pull, just realize after reading it again.  I noticed that also as I read... good intentioned the post anyway.

• jmehdi
    50 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2011 12:42 PM

Correction made. No reason to be a tool YankeeJim.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2011 1:09 PM

As for the wind and putts, I never care about winds when putting, don't know if I am making a mistake. Probably that is why when I see a break left in a putt and I hit it and ding it, the ball goes straight and doesn't break.. may need to pay attention.. maybe there is a strong wind blowing the other way that keeps the ball going straight and not breaking. I am concentrated on "guessing" what the meter will do with my putt... will it rush passed the line when dinging or pulling is a real "in the hole" result or just go as slow as a snail for a putt you plan to push a little(that's the sure way to ding a putt you don't have the intention to). You click as close to the line as possible and still ding it, you don't need that ding for sure, that is why you get it and see the ball going that inch out that a push would have got into the hole... but I guess it happens to everyone, not just me. Snail paced meter and lightening fast depends on where you aimed. Try not moving the arrow with a left wind, say and try to pull it, clicking a bit before where you usually do. My guess is you will probably push it or even ding it, unless you really click long before...but that is only my guess, everyone experiences the game differently and there will be days when you really get what you waited and paid for.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2011 1:12 PM

jmehdi:

Correction made. No reason to be a tool YankeeJim.

If you endeavor to give advice that's already been written be damned sure you read what you write.Then read it again after you post it.  It's not a matter of being a tool, it's a matter of not giving misleading advice. There's people that don't bother to guess at what you meant.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2011 1:49 PM

YankeeJim:
    guess

isnt that what these two dimensional putts usually are??

lmao

-G

• jmehdi
    50 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2011 2:00 PM

"...be damned sure you read what you write. Then read it again after you post it..."

Lighten up, Frances

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2011 2:39 PM

jmehdi:
    Lighten up

LMAO......you just called the guy a tool.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2011 4:22 PM

I'd defend YJ also, but he's a Yankee fan....

• PAGES
RSS