Forums

Help › Forums

Advice on iron sets

Mon, Nov 7 2022 2:21 PM (36 replies)
  • HL020
    14 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2022 7:44 PM

Hello everyone. Only played this game for one week. Hoping to get some advice on irons. I am thinking of getting the irons between 1300 and 1600 credits. I know people always suggest to save your credits, but I don't think I will pay for credits, so I am planning to go for cheaper clubs. Currently thinking of the 'Ben Holgan L15' or the 'Ping i500 L27'. Any advice on which is better? Thanks :)

• SamSpayed
    4,998 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2022 9:38 AM

HL020:

Hello everyone. Only played this game for one week. Hoping to get some advice on irons. I am thinking of getting the irons between 1300 and 1600 credits. I know people always suggest to save your credits, but I don't think I will pay for credits, so I am planning to go for cheaper clubs. Currently thinking of the 'Ben Holgan L15' or the 'Ping i500 L27'. Any advice on which is better? Thanks :)

Here's a side-by-side comparison between the two:

I think you'll be happier with the Hogans.  They're a very good set of irons for the price, with much better spin and a better meter speed than the Pings.  They should last you up to level 59, where you'll probably want to upgrade to the L59 Ping irons to get the High trajectory.

• HL020
    14 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2022 2:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have added you as friend.

• HL020
    14 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2022 4:08 PM

pdb1:

Good 1st Post HL020

HL020:
    I know people always suggest to save your credits, but I don't think I will pay for credits, so I am planning to go for cheaper clubs.

Since you are talking about penny's or a couple few more dollars . For what you will find is a long term investment . And the fact that you seem to be tiering up fairly quickly .

There are more important things to consider .

Such as High Trajectory and Meter Speed .

The Pings are very good . Maybe not as good as the Ben Hogan's ? Maybe they are better ? But they do have a slower Meter Speed .

Consider waiting a little longer for some High Trajectory ( meaning higher loft , stop on a dime landing ) .

I do not like MAX's . But here are the next 2 High Trajectory sets .

Or even wait longer . But I think you will get here quickly . These level clubs will last much longer before needing to upgrade again . IMSO .

Welcome to the Forums

Please enjoy .

CONGRATS:

Thank you for your welcome :) I know it's definitely worth waiting from other's people suggestion. But these ones are definitely a bit too much. Unless they are on discounts which I don't know if it's going to happen in this game :(

• SamSpayed
    4,998 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2022 6:36 PM

HL020:
    Thank you for your welcome :) I know it's definitely worth waiting from other's people suggestion. But these ones are definitely a bit too much. Unless they are on discounts which I don't know if it's going to happen in this game :(

WGT does occasionally have Free Rental Weekends, where you can rent any club or iron set for free for 24 hrs.  If you rent and then decide to purchase, WGT will give you a 10% discount.  

WGT also sometimes gives you a choice of clubs to rent for free when you reach a new Level.  Again, if you decide to purchase the club after the rental period (usually 2 hrs I think), you can get a 10% discount.

And finally, WGT occasionally has Flash Sales where they put select clubs on sale at a 20% discount.  That's actually their best discount.

• alosso
    21,053 Posts
    Wed, Nov 2 2022 11:29 PM

HL020:
    Hoping to get some advice on irons.
    I'd suggest that you get two solid & short wedges first, e.g. wait for the L39 Taylormades, 60° + 64°. They will help you tremendously in the short game!

Next, for the thrifty golfer, would be a good 3 wood which might replace the Starter driver.

From then, it depends on your progress. Major change in conditions comes with "Master", when you will play from the next longer tees. Then, a driver and/or an iron set may be necessary.

As for your parallel post on this subject, you might edit it and delete the text, to avoid double discussion threads.

And, as a new poster in the forum, you are subject to moderation, which mainly means that your posts are delayed and may "disappear" behind other postings.

• GreenLaser
    204 Posts
    Thu, Nov 3 2022 1:49 AM

I don't have the experience of a lot of the players posting advice, but my experience may be more recent.  I started playing in June.

I played the Starter irons until I hit L59 and got the L59 Pings.  I'm not sure I'd do that if I started over. Those L15 Ben Hogans appeal to me. I like the numbers, especially the meter number, and I like the L85 Callaways I have now much better than the L59 Pings, so I'd probably play the L15 Hogans, accumulating credits,  until I reached L85.  Levels came relatively quickly for me until I hit the 80's.

I dumped the Hybrid early and went with 3 wedges. The L8 64° Cleveland's 3.0 meter was too quick for me but having it was still better than not having it.  Replaced it with a MAX Meter when I hit L91.  I'm still using 60° and 56° Callaway Jaws wedges with 4.0 meters, probably will replace those with the higher meter Callaway Jaws when I reach those levels. I'd stick with my wedges strategy if I started over.

I used the Starter Driver and 3 Wood until I reached L48.  Buying the L48 Mizuno 3 Wood helped my game considerably.  I used it off the tee, and it was extremely useful on second shots.  Punch shots from the rough (and fairway) made it even more versatile.  It was fairly expensive for a 3 Wood but cheaper than Drivers. I used it off the tee until I got my L74 TaylorMade Driver.  I'd probably wait for the L51 Callaway 3 Wood if I were starting over.  That one has less Forgiveness but a slower meter, and it's cheaper than the Mizuno. I did fine with Mizuno's 4.0 meter, but i'm headed toward having all my clubs with 4.4 or 4.5 meters and replaced it when I hit L86.

Leveling up slowed to a crawl when I hit around level 90, so there's plenty of time to accumulate credits for the higher level clubs.

Putters aren't nearly as important, IMO, but the L55 SeeMore is a good buy if you putt off-ding and the L59 Odyssey is a good buy if you putt on-ding.  I've blown a lot of credits on putters. They make some difference, but I think getting used to whatever putter you have makes more difference. I didn't start putting off-ding until somewhere around level 91, I think. I don't know how far that will get me, but I'm liking it so far. I've settled on the L86 SeeMore.  ...and I have the L70 Scotty Cameron...and the L55 SeeMore...and the L59 Odyssey. Yeah, I've blown a lot of credits on putters. Starting over, I'd putt off-ding from the beginning and probably get that L55 SeeMore when I hit L55.

Just recently started using balls other than the starters.  

• HL020
    14 Posts
    Thu, Nov 3 2022 2:57 AM

SamSpayed:

And finally, WGT occasionally has Flash Sales where they put select clubs on sale at a 20% discount.  That's actually their best discount.

I've checked their past 20% discount sale. Unfortunately they seem to only happen on the more expensive clubs. But I will definitely keep an eye to see if I can snatch something for a lower price.

• HL020
    14 Posts
    Thu, Nov 3 2022 3:17 AM

alosso:

HL020:
    Hoping to get some advice on irons.
    I'd suggest that you get two solid & short wedges first, e.g. wait for the L39 Taylormades, 60° + 64°. They will help you tremendously in the short game!

I've seen people using the cleaveland cg16 and said it's really good, so I was planning to get that together with a set of irons. May I ask why will you need two wedges? Can't you just buy the wedge with the longest range and then power down for a shorter distance? It might sound strange, but this is a question since I started the game:)

RSS