Forums

Help › Forums

Club Selection at Level 50

rated by 0 users
Wed, Nov 16 2022 7:19 AM (7 replies)
  • MichaelDonnan0
    2 Posts
    Fri, Nov 11 2022 9:51 AM

I am a level 50 pro with 3,800 credits and was curious when I should start upgrading my clubs. I have all the starter clubs and balls currently, but trying to figure out what equipment to buy and what level I should be doing it at. Also curious to what order you should buy clubs in. Driver first? Irons? Wedges?  

Looking forward to the responses. 

• GreenLaser
    204 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2022 3:51 PM

I wouldn't buy a driver yet.  Buy a good 3-Wood.  It's good from the tees until Master level, good as a fairway wood long after reaching Master, and very useful for long punch shots from the rough. When I reached L48, I got the Mizuno ST200 (235 yards, 4.0 meter, 5.0 forgiveness.) Another good one would be the L51 Callaway Rogue ST LS (235 yards, 4.4 meter, 4.0 forgiveness,)  The Callaway is cheaper by a few hundred credits. If I were you, I'd probably get the L51 Callaway and put the extra credits toward wedges.  I already had some decent wedges by the time I got a good 3-wood. Cheaper route would be to buy the L46 MAX Meter 3-wood. It's not as good as the other two but much cheaper which would leave you even more credits for wedges.

Buy a 64° wedge then a 60° and a 56°.  You could buy one or more of the wedges before the 3-wood.

For irons, you're close enough to L59 to wait for the L59 Pings with high trajectory. I played the Starter irons until I got those.  

• MichaelDonnan0
    2 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2022 8:26 AM

Thank you for your help!

• GreenLaser
    204 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2022 2:49 PM

About a driver, you'll want a good one when you're Master because you get moved to tees farther back when you reach that tier.  The L55 TaylorMade is the one to consider if you still want a driver soon after the other upgrades. That's one you could keep after reaching Master and not feel like you wished you'd waited until you could get a longer driver.  It's about 3000 credits which is less than 3 weeks of clicking on the video ads (150 credits/day.)  I didn't upgrade my driver until the L74 TaylorMade, but the L55 TaylorMade is the one to get if you want one sooner than that.

• alosso
    21,052 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2022 9:24 PM

+1, GL!

The sequence and speed of buying must consider that Michael is a Pro of 85 average.

Thus, I'd go for two short wedges and a 3WD first, in this order. Maybe some budget balls to slow the swings down?

Then, get the next clubs when you feel the need for them. This may be once you hit the next level. Tour Pro has the same tees, so more length is only needed at Master. The choices then depend on the level achieved then...

• Duphpherer
    457 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2022 9:34 PM

Also agree with Green Laser.  My first purchase was L55 TM driver, then L59 Ping i500 and Max Spin wedges L50 starting with the 64 degree. The meter on these wedges is faster than the other clubs mentioned, but are so effective at biting the green. Good luck! 

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2022 5:27 AM

MichaelDonnan0:

Thank you for your help!

Great advice given, I would add that you really should look into a new Country Club- the one you are in is mostly inactive players...Playing real time with people who can help you is invaluable.

• ArchieBunker85
    61 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2022 7:19 AM

I went driver first but the suggestion to go 3wd first doesn't sound half bad either. At level 58 you can get a ping g410 3wd that has 235 distance 4 meter speed for like 695 credits. I used it for a long time and it's probably the best 3wd for the price in the game. I even kept it for a while after upgrading to another 3wd and used as a long hybrid for long par 3's. I'd still probably go with driver first just to get the shortest approach shots possible with those starter irons. I went with a putter next because I really dont like that starter putter. Wedges were the last thing I upgraded. You can do good with cheap wedges if you learn how to play them. There's a gold starter 55yd wedge for 100 credits. I used that as my short wedge up until a week ago. Made many birdie hole outs and up and downs with that cheap wedge. My general advice would be to just get to level 85ish with the cheapest setup possible. That's when you start to unlock the good stuff. In the meantime, learn the game mechanics and how to play the courses so you can take advantage of that good equipment when you finally get it.

RSS