My choice of golf balls costs me 250 credits

My 60 wedge costs 200 credits

18 holes at Cabo Del Sol costs 60 credits

My driver costs 1095 credits

In this little cluster of equipment, a sleeve of 3 golf balls are worth:

-More than any wedge I play with

-More than 4 rounds of golf in Cabo

-About the quarter of the value of my driver

Now, let's extrapolate that to the real world. A sleeve of Titleist Pro V1x balls costs about $15 at my local pro shop. This means I should be able to get:

-A brand new wedge for about $12

-A round of golf in Mexico for $4.50

-And a brand new driver for about $70

(I'm sure you would all agree that these would be fantastic deals)

To put it another way. Assuming the value of the equipment was more in keeping with reality:

-a wedge for about $60

-a round of golf in Cabo for $22.50 (at that price, it probably means you had to sit through a half a day's worth of time share sales pitch)

-a new driver for $350

That would make the golf balls only $75 for a sleeve of three! (or you could be more economical and by a dozen online for probably around $250). What a bargain!

I've played everyday for the last 38 days. I reached the Master tier at level 42 and I'm close to jumping up to Tour Master. I have paid for the best equipment available to me and I have done so happily. I have dedicated embarrassing chunks of my day to this game.

I realize it's a business and not a charity, so I pay - because it value to me.

As a consumer, the recurring and disproportionate price of golf balls vs. other equipment is so tremendous, that it has ceased being cost-effective. In other words, it no longer has value to me.

At about 3 rounds per ball (none lost in the water or out of bounds), I can go through a sleeve in two days very easily. After buying new clubs (which I am inclined to do regularly because of changing availability, tee box locations, and green conditions), paying for entrance into tournaments, and greens fees. I feel that your price for golf balls exceeds what is an appropriate cost vs. benefit ratio.

I enjoy the game very much and would like to continue playing, but the price is too high. I hope your financial officers will take note of the preventable loss of revenue.

• Lashe
    824 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2011 10:32 AM

Very thoughtful and well written post.  You make a good argument here. 

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2011 11:38 AM

J-

I agree with Lashe, very well written post, and I agree with you, the price of golf balls is a little steep for their longevity.

On a side note, let me just say that you are quite the natural at this game. From your very first day you have posted some incredible scores, good for you.  With rounds like that I'm sure you'll have no problem winning enough credits through RG's and MP challenges so you'll never have to pay out of pocket for balls again.

MC

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2011 11:54 AM

I reached Master by doing Surveys and offers. No need to spend anything if you're frugal.

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2011 12:46 PM

they through that price out there to see if anyone would go for it .they (we) did so its our fault its so high for balls

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2011 2:28 PM

You won't find my arguing against more reasonably priced golf balls ... however, I wonder how much memberships at Oakmont and Congressional cost? Entrance fees of maybe $100,000? RSG and St. Andrews are a few hundred per round, I think... Kiawah's probably $400+. Bethpage is the cheapest, but still a lot more than nothing -- and good luck trying to get out on a Saturday morning ... or at 2 a.m., for that matter.

• bigfootdude1
    9 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2011 2:34 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with you. Love this game but the cost of good balls keeps me from using them. i have been out of work for over 2 yrs. so no money (or credit cards for"free" offers) so all my credits come from watching videos and taking surveys' it took me almost 4 months too get enough credits for a good driver and wedge,  And it will take another 3 months to get a decent set of clubs.so paying 200-300-for good balls seems crazy to me.so i use free and cheap balls and my game suffers. ok enough ranting love the game and everyone enjoy

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2011 2:44 PM

mrcaddie:
    On a side note, let me just say that you are quite the natural at this game. From your very first day you have posted some incredible scores, good for you.  With rounds like that I'm sure you'll have no problem winning enough credits through RG's and MP challenges so you'll never have to pay out of pocket for balls again.

I'm quite sure I broke par my first round at Kaiwah and shot even at Oak as well the day I joined, didn't you?

• Mesmorizer
    614 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2011 2:46 PM

I really like you arguement. Well thought out, makes alot of sense. But looking at it from the other side, people are buying the balls all the time. Using your arguement WGT may think, hummmm this guy is right we charging to little for the equips. got to even the equation out so up the price of equips! Lol. hope they dont but just saying..........

Mes.

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2011 3:14 PM

MB-

MBaggese:
    I'm quite sure I broke par my first round at Kaiwah and shot even at Oak as well the day I joined, didn't you?

Thanks for picking up on that, not sure others have.

MC

• PAGES
RSS