Help › Forums

Use of spin

Thu, Aug 22 2024 11:18 AM (24 replies)
  • callaghan159
    6,291 Posts
    Thu, Jul 11 2024 12:26 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

borntobesting:
    with the irons and wedges you have you won't get much spin even with the best spin ball.

+1

It's like you put motorsport tyres on a Fiat 500 and expect it to run like a Ferrari. 😆

you mean it wont?

• ScottHope
    10,288 Posts
    Thu, Jul 11 2024 12:44 PM

Deleted

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,615 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2024 8:43 PM

callaghan159:

SimonTheBeetle:

borntobesting:
    with the irons and wedges you have you won't get much spin even with the best spin ball.

+1

It's like you put motorsport tyres on a Fiat 500 and expect it to run like a Ferrari. 😆

you mean it wont?

LOL Well, maybe an electric one will! 😉

I don't know if you watched the Fiat 500e commercial already, but I adore the song in it!

♩♬♪Dove vai? Te ne vai? Quella volta non dovevi andare via. Ero bellissima, bellissima. ♩♬♪ 👍👍

• 4wedge
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2024 11:26 PM

I would approach this game like billiards. And learn how to strike each club with no spin, usually single player practice. #1 Saint Andrew's is a great start. You can find out what each club carries off the tee and off the fairway, with no spin or full bspin. Once you get premium equipment, you can add ball spin and club rated spin. And then add attire bonus percentages.  My ball is 5.4 spin. My irons are 3.5. Together that's 8.9%.  I don't use iron spin attire cause I'm close to 10% and that's easy math. Now u figure tenths and half tenths.    Tee shots are different u need to practice on single player practice mode and hit tee shots and write down the carry. Restart round back to tee box and write down what no spin does. Keep wind to minimum or side to side for accurate recording. U don't have to accept a 10 on a hole. U can Restart in practice single play without penalty or end round without penalty. Practice mode nothing counts so write down what clubs do

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,615 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2024 12:44 PM

A solid piece of advice about mapping, 4wedge!

If I may add some, I always map based on fairway shots. Then, I account for tee shots going about 2-3 yards farther than fairway ones.

In my opinion, full backspin should be used cautiously, as it tends to do more harm than good, especially in strong winds.

At the end of the day, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Everyone has their own play style and preferences, and ultimately, it's about finding what works through trial and error.

The most foolish thing would be to look for a quick fix to solve all problems in one go. This applies not only to this game but to all aspects of life, I believe.

• Squatch031
    193 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2024 4:00 PM

The only thing I would add is to be careful using a lot of backspin with wedges.  I have seen players back it up all the way off of the green.  Of course, this is dependent on the capabilities of your clubs and ball.

• Redmonod
    27 Posts
    Wed, Jul 17 2024 8:12 AM

Squatch, there may be some use for full backspin on a wedge on a normal shot, but I don't know what it is. Maybe to counteract a very high tailwind?  It can lead to serious problems hitting into an upslope. On the other hand, I usually hit Punch, Flop and Pitch shots with FBS. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,615 Posts
    Thu, Jul 18 2024 12:23 PM

ScottHope:

Deleted

I was going to let it go, Scott, but as time goes by, I get more and more curious about what you wrote and then deleted. 😆

↓ I see. Me too, I should end it here. 😉 ↓

• ScottHope
    10,288 Posts
    Thu, Jul 18 2024 12:33 PM

Oh, I just got an AI picture generator to produce a Fiat 500 with Ferrari styling. It was quite convincing, but as it wasn't in keeping with the thread topic I thought the mods would delete it, so I deleted it myself.

• SamSpayed
    4,992 Posts
    Thu, Jul 18 2024 2:25 PM

Redmonod:
    there may be some use for full backspin on a wedge on a normal shot, but I don't know what it is. Maybe to counteract a very high tailwind?

I'll use a bit of BS on a full wedge shot if it's uphill a ways.  For example, I had a shot earlier today that was 66 yds to the pin / 24 ft uphill.  So I added some BS to that shot so it wouldn't hit and roll out too far.  

RSS