Looking for a good driver for level 60 and up

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 31 2024 3:36 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bsktgevyglf
    5 Posts
    Mon, Jul 22 2024 5:56 AM

Hello,

I have been accumulating credits by playing games and watching ads within the games (a LOT of ads). I've managed to get to over 2500 credits.

I'm up to level 63 despite the distance limitations of the starter drivers I've been using. 

My questions are:

Do I have enough credits to get a quality driver?

Any opinions on getting a driver in my credit range? Should I get a lower cost driver and save some credits for other clubs or equipment?

Other than increased distance, which features should I be looking for in a driver?

Should I keep accumulating credits and be patient and wait to get a better driver?

Thank You in advance for any and all opinions.

• GreenLaser
    202 Posts
    Mon, Jul 22 2024 7:25 PM

If you're wanting to put together a pretty good set of clubs without spending a lot of credits, my suggestions would be to get the L59 Ping irons (2525 credits) now then save for the L69 TaylorMade driver(1825 credits). The L58 Ping 3 wood (725 credits) looks pretty good for the price.  Upgraded wedges make a big difference, too. The MAXSpin wedges(895 credits each) are inexpensive and very good. The L59 Ping irons have a long enough 3-iron that you can drop the hybrid and use three wedges (64°, 60°, & 56°).

There are better clubs to be had for more credits or at higher levels, but for something that's budget friendly that you can have now or in the very near future, I think those are pretty nice.

• bsktgevyglf
    5 Posts
    Tue, Jul 23 2024 5:54 AM

Thanks for the reply!

• borntobesting
    9,676 Posts
    Sat, Jul 27 2024 9:24 AM

bsktgevyglf:

Hello,

I have been accumulating credits by playing games and watching ads within the games (a LOT of ads). I've managed to get to over 2500 credits.

I'm up to level 63 despite the distance limitations of the starter drivers I've been using. 

My questions are:

Do I have enough credits to get a quality driver?

Any opinions on getting a driver in my credit range? Should I get a lower cost driver and save some credits for other clubs or equipment?

Other than increased distance, which features should I be looking for in a driver?

Should I keep accumulating credits and be patient and wait to get a better driver?

Thank You in advance for any and all opinions.

If I were you I would forgo a 3 wood and drop the hybrid and replace them  and your other wedges with 4 top optional wedges . I carried 4  optional wedges until Legend. You will use the wedges a lot more often than either the 3 wood or hybrid.

• bsktgevyglf
    5 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2024 4:25 AM

Just to clarify. I am using the WGT pro 9.5 degree driver. 

But the recommendation is to get the  Ping iron set and get a better driver later?

I get frustrated on long holes where people out drive me by 30-40 yards.

• SamSpayed
    4,992 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2024 10:56 AM

bsktgevyglf:

But the recommendation is to get the  Ping iron set and get a better driver later?

I get frustrated on long holes where people out drive me by 30-40 yards.

You're using all starter equipment, so basically you need everything.

In my opinion, I think you have 3 good choices for your 1st purchase:

1. TaylorMade Qi10 Driver (L55+) - 3035 credits
    2. PING i230 Iron Set (L59+) - 2525 credits
    3. the set of 3 MAX Spin Wedges - 2685 credits

The choice is yours.  The driver would certainly take care of your frustration.

• bsktgevyglf
    5 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2024 12:41 PM

Ok thanks for the great replies everyone. I just need to decide.

I am up to 3300 credits now.

• GreenLaser
    202 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2024 1:22 PM

Here are some more thoughts on upgrading.

If you want to upgrade your driver now and have the credits, the L55 that Sam mentioned is the one to get.  That's a great driver, and I'm sure it would relieve the frustration. You don't get moved to longer tees until you reach Master (needs an average of 67 which factored into my advice to upgrade irons first).

Upgrading your irons or wedges would probably improve your scores more than upgrading your driver would.  

Uprgrading to the L59 irons gets you an upgrade of 8 clubs for around 2500 credits (that's a bargain). High trajectory and more spin matters as you climb the tiers and greens get faster. Don't buy any irons that aren't high trajectory. The L59 3-iron is longer than the Starter hybrid and even a little longer than the Starter 3-wood, so the irons upgrade may even help with your distance frustration.

If you decide to upgrade your driver first, when to upgrade irons may depend on how fast you accumulate credits and how fast you progress through levels. If you're close to L85 by the time you have have enough credits for irons, I'd say wait for the L85 irons instead of getting the L59.

One other thing to consider is that upgrading to good irons is going to increase the gap between the pitching wedge of the iron set and your other wedges. The gap between the 115 yard PW of the L59 irons and the 70 yard Starter wedge is pretty big, so factor in credits to purchase a wedge to fill in that gap if you decide to upgrade irons. High spin wedges will make a big difference with your scores.

• GreenLaser
    202 Posts
    Mon, Jul 29 2024 10:57 AM

I noticed you got the L59 irons.  I gifted you the 90 yard MAXSpin wedge, so check your inbox for that. Good luck with the new clubs.

• bsktgevyglf
    5 Posts
    Wed, Jul 31 2024 4:00 AM

Yes. All the replies recommended the iron set so I went with it. 

I have noticed a huge difference and I'm getting used to the change.

Thank you so much for the wedge GreenLaser!

• PAGES
RSS