Forums

Help › Forums

Something's Wrong with Your Physics Engine, WGT!

Mon, Sep 2 2024 2:37 AM (2 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,629 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2024 4:45 PM

Alright, I've been ignoring this issue, thinking it was just a part of the game or related to VEM, but I think it's time to mention it now.

We’ve all seen some truly absurd and inexplicable shot outcomes from time to time. I get that. That being said though, take this one here for instance.

It was on the infamous hole #5 at Merion and my second iron shot was calculated to be 207.5 yards to the pin. I executed my shot accordingly, and after the ball landed where intended, it suddenly bounced forward and rolled by about 27 yards, ending up in an entirely unexpected location. You can see in the image that the shot tracker indicates 0.00 yard roll despite the 27-yard bounce & roll. Also note that I applied 90% backspin onto it! This defies any reasonable explanation, and what’s worse is that these kinds of incidents happen more frequently now, especially with more consistent play.

As a matter of fact, something similar happened just a few days ago, during a RG tourney on the 15th par-3 hole at PGA National. I shot with 98% power as calculated, only to see the ball fly off like an uncontrolled rocket and land in the backwater! After a penalty, I tried again with 97% power, and this time, the ball fell 6 yards short of the pin. LOL Unfortunately, I couldn't record all these since the game stutters when the recording is enabled in the background, but now I really feel the need of using it somehow.

The clear takeaway is that these unexplainable shot results are becoming increasingly common and more extreme. So please, WGT... overhaul the state of your physics engine seriously. Something is definitely wrong with it!

• BlackBogey
    459 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2024 10:07 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

I couldn't record all these since the game stutters when the recording is enabled in the background, but now I really feel the need of using it somehow.

If you play on PC with Windows 10 or 11 you already have XBox GameBar built into the software (no, doesn't require an XBox, it's just recording software that was originally designed for XBox but is now included in Windows).  With it, you don't have to have a recording going on the entire round.  Once it is set up, all you have to hit the WIN/Alt/G keys and it will record the last 30 seconds of gameplay.  You can actually set it up to record 30 secs, 45 secs, 1 minute, etc...  If you play on a Windows machine this is the perfect solution to those "What the F#*k Just Happened" moments.  Most times I find it was caused by user error, but not always.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,629 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2024 2:37 AM

BlackBogey:
    XBox GameBar built into the software (no, doesn't require an XBox, it's just recording software that was originally designed for XBox but is now included in Windows).

I'm aware of that software too, Jay. The problem is my laptop has two graphics cards, and they seem to conflict whenever a recording program is turned on. The symptoms include the computer stuttering, or in the worst case, the program crashing entirely.

In fact, this issue caused me a lot of trouble during the live VUSO tech test with the Super League staff two years ago. I almost couldn't broadcast the live stream, which would have prevented me from participating in the event. (And yeah, it stuttered like crazy the whole time, to the point that it was virtually impossible to hit a ding during the live round.)

BlackBogey:
    Most times I find it was caused by user error, but not always.

You're right - most of the time, WTF shots happen due to player errors, but the instance shown above is clearly a physics engine error.

RSS