Help › Forums

Coin games rigged?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 14 2024 9:34 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • chadm2057
    4 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2024 1:13 PM

Has anyone ever run into getting beat by Masters and Tour Masters constantly in coin games but being able to win in Stroke Play against Legends a reasonable amount of time? 

Man is it frustrating as it makes me think Coin games are rigged. Yes my putting sucks but geez.

• SamSpayed
    4,996 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2024 8:04 PM

chadm2057:
    Has anyone ever run into getting beat by Masters and Tour Masters constantly in coin games but being able to win in Stroke Play against Legends a reasonable amount of time?

There are some excellent Masters and TMs in the coin rooms.  That's all many of them play, so they've become very good at them.  I (a Champion) got beat today by a Tour Pro in a 1-hole coin room.  He hit an excellent tee shot on Chambers #12, got a lucky bounce off the mountain and a great roll, and put his ball 4 feet from the cup.  I also hit a good tee shot, but missed my eagle putt by an inch.  It happens.  If you get beat by a lower-tiered player, congratulate them with a smile and move on to the next game 🙂

chadm2057:

Man is it frustrating as it makes me think Coin games are rigged. Yes my putting sucks but geez.

The coin games are not rigged.  I think I see the problem.

Try to work on getting your 1st putts closer to the hole.  3 putts are killing you.  As a Legend, your putts-per-hole should be below 1.60, your one-putts should be about 45%, and your 3 putts should be 5% or less.  Maybe set those as goals and try some things (or ask for advice in your CC) to get you there.

Once your putting improves, the wins will come.  Good luck 🍀

• chadm2057
    4 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2024 9:24 AM

Thanks Sam, yes my putting is weak and I know it, will keep working it!

• SamSpayed
    4,996 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2024 1:11 PM

chadm2057:

Thanks Sam, yes my putting is weak and I know it, will keep working it!

It'll come I'm sure 😉

If I could make one more suggestion.  If you want to work on learning distance control, go to the Practice putting green - the Easy one (which is a flat one - Bethpage #3) - and just hit some practice putts to get a feel for how to hard to hit your putts from different distances on different green speeds.  That helped me quite a bit when I was a Legend.  I still go there on occasion as a warm-up and for ding practice.

• Cicero733
    2,306 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2024 1:24 PM

If I could amplify just a little on what Scott suggested. When practicing distance control try to become familiar with how much force is required to move the ball 4’, 5’ & 6’ at the various green speeds, especially the higher speeds. These are distances frequently used when ramming/jamming putts at short distances. Many players are reluctant to whump a putt a good one at short distances for fear of running past the hole. When you begin to understand just how hard you can hit a putt at the shorter distances, which minimizes break, and not roll multiple feet past the hole, you begin to more easily visualize how a putt will roll to the hole. It’s a confidence building exercise.

• Treep842
    413 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2024 12:47 PM

"As a Legend, your putts-per-hole should be below 1.60, your one-putts should be about 45%, and your 3 putts should be 5% or less."

Thanks for that input. I am curious where/how those stats were developed? I am not disputing the figures, just interested in the background.

Thanks!

• bossbird
    2,220 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2024 7:08 AM

To be fair stats mean nothing depending on how the player plays . I will explain. I am owner of a 2 person club , in the past we played the clash really hard , I would play all 11 matches , and throughout the night . My director often played 9 too , though he worked. We both used to putt over and over again and again to get a long putt to register in the clash win. We have both been saturated at our levels and didn’t care what score was registered with a normal pass in a clash match as long as we achieved the individual awards. So our stats will show awful probably , but neither of us were bad putters, we were good clash players . 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,629 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2024 1:55 PM

chadm2057:
    Has anyone ever run into getting beat by Masters and Tour Masters constantly in coin games

ALL THE TIME! Yes, you can tell some of them are revenants, sandbaggers.

chadm2057:
    Man is it frustrating as it makes me think Coin games are rigged.

Well, that's the beauty of it - you never know what's gonna happen in coin rooms, especially in 1-hole matches.

• BlackBogey
    459 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2024 2:07 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

chadm2057:
    Has anyone ever run into getting beat by Masters and Tour Masters constantly in coin games

ALL THE TIME! Yes, you can tell some of them are revenants, sandbaggers.

chadm2057:
    Man is it frustrating as it makes me think Coin games are rigged.

Well, that's the beauty of it - you never know what's gonna happen in coin rooms, especially in 1-hole matches.

Exactly, coin rooms are a crap shoot at best.  Someone else mentioned they should be handicapped by more than a few yards off the tee.  In certain lower level rooms the lower tiered player already gets a tee box advantage (even though they can have great equipment unlocked), and they also get an advantage on the greens with "larger hole" and longer "gimmes".  How much is enough?

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,629 Posts
    Sat, Sep 7 2024 2:19 PM

BlackBogey:
    Exactly, coin rooms are a crap shoot at best.  Someone else mentioned they should be handicapped by more than a few yards off the tee.  In certain lower level rooms the lower tiered player already gets a tee box advantage (even though they can have great equipment unlocked), and they also get an advantage on the greens with "larger hole" and longer "gimmes".  How much is enough?

Couldn't have said it better myself! 👍

• PAGES
RSS