Forums

Help › Forums

avatar position when lining up putts.

Sun, Dec 18 2011 10:14 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gbarto
    141 Posts
    Wed, Dec 14 2011 3:08 PM

Have not seen any posts relating to this question so here goes: Ever since i advanced from amateur to pro tier I swear when lining up putts,especially over 10 ft., my avatar position is frequently BUT not always,way off to the side of the flag stick when viewed in forward or reverse camera views,as opposed to almost perfectly lined up with flag stick when I was at amateur tier. Whatever the reason,this makes lining up long putts much more difficult !!! its like I have to putt cross court or some thing. FOR some reason camera angles/views have definitely changed when putting. Also occasionally  avatar IS perfectly lined up with flag stick but not often. Maybe this normal??  To make putting more challenging as as you advance in skill level??  any way sorry for long question,just wanted to be clear as possible. thanks all.

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Wed, Dec 14 2011 7:20 PM

• jmehdi
    50 Posts
    Wed, Dec 14 2011 8:04 PM

With the forward and reverse views, a fairly good representation of the green can usually be inferred. However, sometimes, the data appear to conflict between forward and reverse views. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

There are a few things you can do to make reading such greens more accurate.

• Switch to "Pitch" or "Chip," if you're on the fringe, and you'll see a different grid formation. Sometimes, this alternate view provides some enlightenment. (Now that I think about it, I don't know if I've tried this from anywhere but the fringe. Maybe it will give you and alternate view from the green too. I'll check)
    • Move the aiming arrow around a larger area of the green. Sometimes we get lost in the minutiae of putting and forget to see the big picture. Greens have a fluid shape and a certain logic to them. Sometimes, moving the target around exposes features of the green you have overlooked, features that might affect your decision on a right or left breaking putt (Though if it's that unclear, your usual shot is to either lag or hit it hard and take the half-assed break out of the equation).
    • A hybrid of the first two points, and for the same reasons,  is to switch the swing to "full" and take a bird's eye view of the green. 

In the end, I see it as part of the game. The information is almost always there if you know how to look for it (Do you play for wind on putts? Most people don't). The challenge of golf, both in real life and in this game, is really less about execution and more about interpreting the situation.

Use those tips. They help.

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Thu, Dec 15 2011 3:48 AM

• Timbo1984
    818 Posts
    Thu, Dec 15 2011 4:29 AM

Firstly I agree with the post. Some of the putts are hard to read.

Secondly...Holy Cow TeeWade! Do you ever stop complaining? I mean ever? Is there one day where you don't complain? Were you a single child? Something isn't right here...No man can complain like this without some kid of medical/psychological reasoning behind it. 

Seriously mate...I've never in my life seen someone bYtch and kick and scream as much as you. Yet still keep coming back again and again.

You seriously need to take a chill pill. Otherwise if it's too much for you to handle...Then just leave mate...Don't get your skirt caught in the door on the way out.

You may now reply to this with: "blah blah *brainwashed* blah blah *complaint* blah blah *WGT never listens to me* blah blah" As is pretty much custom for your reply to any post you read.

Good grief!

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Thu, Dec 15 2011 5:45 AM

TeeWade:

jmehdi:
    The challenge of golf, both in real life and in this game, is really less about execution and more about interpreting the situation.

In real life you get 360 degree view. Why do you people continuously take up for this site and make excuses for them? Geeezus

I agree with you Wade, and also the magical grid with moving dots that I see in real life is always 100% accurate!  - well, depending on if I get my meds right that day.....

I mean c'mon WGT get with it!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 15 2011 5:48 AM

LMAO.  TW's the 2nd coming of Ebenezer Scrooge. His time will come when the ghosts of St Andrews get to him. He doesn't get it but we all hold out hope he will some day. He has defenses against the brainwashing.  :-D

@gbarto-I suspect you're at Kiawah seeing this and yes, it's a bit of a pain. Kia was WGT's first full stroke course and it was a learning experience for them. The greens are not quite mapped correctly and they don't always have the pictures they need to give you the better views. I call them the take your best guess views. The only thing you can do about them is remember where not to go. 

Each succeeding course got better but you still run across "cross court" views sometimes. Generally, the reverse view is the best but as jmehdi pointed out, you can usually infer the line by looking at as many views as are available. GL

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Thu, Dec 15 2011 6:03 AM

YankeeJim:
    LMAO.  TW's the 2nd coming of Ebenezer Scrooge. His time will come when the ghosts of St Andrews get to him. He doesn't get it but we all hold out hope he will some day. He has defenses against the brainwashing.  :-D

You're the second person today to pretty much say this very thing.

Apparently I've been an angry and rude person to date on here.

From here on out....I'll remain silent and just play the game.

My apologies to all.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Dec 15 2011 6:25 AM

I don't believe anyone was suggestion you remain silent in the forums Wade, WGT wouldn't want you to remain silent in the forums. This has always been the place to rant when our rounds go south due to unforced error, or so we believe. Timbo just blew a gasket, that's all. Its not the first time someone complained about a player complaining about the game, and it won't be the last. Ren took his lumps from a lot of players in the forums for giving his opinion of this game. In the end, members could potentially reveal a real problem with the game during a forum rant.

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Thu, Dec 15 2011 6:33 AM

I don't know about hard to read, how about hard to even see the green. Yesterday, hole 13 at cong, first shot 3yds past the flag at two o clock,view given 15yds in front of the green.

No matter what I tried I could not get a better view than that. Tried reverse view and it showed me an arial view from 20 yds in the air. lmao:~))) Tried different clubs and shots to no avail. In the end I just took my putt and hoped I would get lucky. I did actually make par but could have had a bird.

mel1950

• PAGES
RSS