4,925 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2011 1:44 PM

Way to go! Congrats!

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2011 5:33 AM

jeffdos924:

YankeeJim:
    The fun thing about being a Legend is you can tailgate in the parking lot before the game and then tee off without moving.  ;-)

And Jim ... VERY FUNNY... almost choked on my coffee :)

Me too, except it wasn't coffee in my mug this morning ;-)

Congrats on making Legend

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 4:37 PM

jmehdi:

Just made legend at level 69 and I did it at Cabo, shooting my first 28, including my first Hole In One. As an added bonus, I won the gold bottom of the cup award at the end of the round.

Yay!

Now comes the fun part. I was already out driven by 20-30 yards already. I guess now I'm going to be out driven by 50 ish. I'm up for it.

(I told myself I wouldn't post an "I made legend announcement", but apparently I was wrong. What can I say? I'm proud.)

Anyway. GL. See you out there.

I made legend in style...with a 27 on bethpage back 9! 10 putts for 8 under including a bogey! check out my tons of screenshots on my profile of when I knew I was becoming a legend...by the way on a sidenote, I MADE LEGEND ON 11/11/11 right after i had my little celebration at 11:11 am-I think I celebrated on 16 or 17...then birdied last 3 holes for legend...then shot 58 on my next round and became one of the top players in the game for a day :)

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 4:42 PM

TarheelsRule:

Congrats on making Legend, now get back here with the rest of us.

Yeh on the bright side no one can make any more jokes at you that us legends love like: "life's still easy on the lady's tees" lol!

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 5:32 PM

jmehdi:
    (I told myself I wouldn't post an "I made legend announcement", but apparently I was wrong. What can I say? I'm proud.)

Way to go! Legend status. The game truly does offer the most fun in the Legend tier. Its a challenge, but then again it was always a challenge moving back in the tee-boxes from the beginning.

Congratulations jmehdi!

P.S. Its really distinguishing of you to let players know your a male player while using a female avatar. Some people just don't have that kind of courtesy at WGT.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Dec 18 2011 7:07 PM

Richard4168:
    P.S. Its really distinguishing of you to let players know your a male player while using a female avatar. Some people just don't have that kind of courtesy at WGT.

I missed that. When did that happen?

• Topcat488
    172 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2011 12:00 AM

YankeeJim:

Richard4168:

I missed that. When did that happen?

Its on his profile page... Lovely Avatar, i can see why the guys were hitting on you... And Congratulations on making Legend dude.  I for one ain't in no hurry too be romped by you diehard players. Good Luck up there!!!  :)

• jmehdi
    50 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2011 1:52 AM

It's true. I'm a guy.

I use the female avatar because it's easier to see when it's my shot if I'm away from the computer. I would use a picture of a squid or floating blob of ectoplasm if they were choices. It's not meant to be gamesmanship.

When I started playing here, every other golfer was a blond white guy in a white shirt, and so was I. It wasn't just the stupid feeling you get when you momentarily panic because you can't find the controls to someone else's avatar, it's also the stupid feeling you get when you sit there vapidly waiting for your own avatar to magically swing because you think it's someone else's shot.

Switching to the black woman avatar solved the problem entirely.

I put it on my profile, but no one sees it, so I mention it in games, sort of...

For a while, it was the first thing I said. "Hi, I'm a guy, gl." But let's face it, that was weird and it inevitably lead to explanations like this, only small game-chat bits.

Then I decided to only mention it if it came up, but people reacted poorly to that, like I'd taken advantage of them somehow. Some people think it's smart, some people think it's funny, but a surprising amount of people get very upset by it.

So now I just play it by ear. I don't try to fool anyone, but I don't come through the front door screaming "I'm a guy! I'm a guy!" either.

I should probably just change it. For the last few months it's been mostly ready goes and stroke play, but I've started playing a lot of AS since legend (good advice jim) and there's a lot more interaction in those games, (also more distinguishable avatars).

It serves a purpose, but it's kind of a PITA too.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Dec 19 2011 2:25 AM

jmehdi:

It's true. I'm a guy.

I use the female avatar because it's easier to see when it's my shot if I'm away from the computer. I would use a picture of a squid or floating blob of ectoplasm if they were choices. It's not meant to be gamesmanship.

When I started playing here, every other golfer was a blond white guy in a white shirt, and so was I. It wasn't just the stupid feeling you get when you momentarily panic because you can't find the controls to someone else's avatar, it's also the stupid feeling you get when you sit there vapidly waiting for your own avatar to magically swing because you think it's someone else's shot.

Switching to the black woman avatar solved the problem entirely.

I put it on my profile, but no one sees it, so I mention it in games, sort of...

For a while, it was the first thing I said. "Hi, I'm a guy, gl." But let's face it, that was weird and it inevitably lead to explanations like this, only small game-chat bits.

Then I decided to only mention it if it came up, but people reacted poorly to that, like I'd taken advantage of them somehow. Some people think it's smart, some people think it's funny, but a surprising amount of people get very upset by it.

So now I just play it by ear. I don't try to fool anyone, but I don't come through the front door screaming "I'm a guy! I'm a guy!" either.

I should probably just change it. For the last few months it's been mostly ready goes and stroke play, but I've started playing a lot of AS since legend (good advice jim) and there's a lot more interaction in those games, (also more distinguishable avatars).

It serves a purpose, but it's kind of a PITA too.

Don't ask, Don't tell!

RSS