Forums

Help › Forums

Colour Me Bad

rated by 0 users
Fri, Dec 23 2011 8:09 AM (6 replies)
  • bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2011 1:48 AM

I've posted about this before but am just looking for a definitive answer on a putting issue.

Being colour-blind, I can't differentiate between the various colours on the putting grid, but I can accept that now, and have learnt to do without the information it gives me.

What I can't figure out are the different colours on the aim line. Sometimes it's obviously black, but often it changes to other colours (blue?/red?). This appears to occur more frequently with longer putts, but does it just signify an uphill or downhill putt or am I missing something? 

I'd also like to know how other colour-blind people overcome the obvious disadvantage when putting, as I know I can't be the only one. Statistically, about one in twelve men have it, albeit to varying degrees, and slightly fewer women.

I got tested recently for the first time in years, and apparently mine is as bad as it gets.

Thanks everyone.

Sean

• Kindle2010
    602 Posts
    Sat, Dec 17 2011 2:12 PM

The colours, blue and red are to show whether the putt is up hill or down hill.  Blue indicates up, and red down. Not seeing these colors shouldn't disadvantage you, as if you move the curser along you're putting path you can see the numbers change up or down.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:09 PM

Kindle2010:
    Not seeing these colors shouldn't disadvantage you, as if you move the curser along you're putting path you can see the numbers change up or down.

Yep,  I am not colored blind and hardly even notice the color change.   About the only time I would use the colors is on approach shots when I choose pitch shot just to see the break on the green from afar.  But then again, just following the direction of the dots will help there.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:57 PM

bluescouse:
    What I can't figure out are the different colours on the aim line. Sometimes it's obviously black, but often it changes to other colours (blue?/red?)

In your case, does colorblind mean you can't see colors or do you see them as a different color than a normal eye? The greens slope from the darkest color to the lightest color. Kindle's idea will help you see the actual up and down in numbers but if you view the entire line and can distinguish the different shades of darkness, you will have a good feel for how it changes to go along with the numbers.

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Fri, Dec 23 2011 7:14 AM

YankeeJim:
    In your case, does colorblind mean you can't see colors or do you see them as a different color than a normal eye?

That's a question I get asked a lot Jim, but the problem is I don't know what everyone else sees and its impossible to verbally describe a colour.

I can differentiate between some colours, but in a lot of. cases they look practically the same and in other cases they simply do not exist for me. 

Confused? Welcome to my world!

Sean ;-) 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Dec 23 2011 7:59 AM

bluescouse:
    Confused? Welcome to my world!

No, I get it, Sean. I have to be able to see colors to get proper blends for stains and such. It all revolves around the 3 colors in the color wheel-red, yellow and blue. The colors WGT uses in green definition are black, dark blue, light blue,  red, orange and yellow but if you can't visualize that I was wondering if you saw the different shades.

To that end if you could distinguish shades and knew what they represented it might help. This picture show what a normal eye should see. It's the green on Oakmont #2 that slopes up to the pin. The names of the colors are there so you can see what we see. Blue is the darkest color and red is the lightest if you can see the shades and the ball will roll from blue to red. Hope this helps a little.  :-)

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Fri, Dec 23 2011 8:09 AM

That's useful Jim - and I appreciate your taking the time to explain it to me.

I can see a slight difference in the colour of the lines on the grid on the extreme left and right side, but it almost indistinguishable and the bits inbetween remain a mystery.

Oh well, you can't miss what you've never had!

Thanks again.

Sean

RSS