Help › Forums

WGT handicap?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 6 2012 3:08 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 12:13 AM

I'd like to host cc tournaments using a handicap system... Any ideas on how to formulate one?

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 1:46 AM

Not sure, but I wouldn't base it on scoring average as that number really doesn't correlate to much around here...except for tier advancement.  It's my understanding that the different tiers play from their own tees in CC stroke play completion...so, in a sense, the handicap has been automatically implemented.

Joey      

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 1:51 AM

Joeyola:

Not sure, but I wouldn't base it on scoring average as that number really doesn't correlate to much around here...except for tier advancement.  It's my understanding that the different tiers play from their own tees in CC stroke play completion...so, in a sense, the handicap has been automatically implemented.

Joey      

Normally yes every tier plays from his own tee in CC tourneys but there is a bug at the present time and legends are playing from the master tees, I'm not sure if the bug is affecting other tiers or not.

• Robbie0102
    636 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 2:06 AM

Hey,

when playing multirounds in our club, we're using the following handicap-system

Every 18 holes the net score will be determined as followed:

• Legend Score +/- 0
    • Tour Master with Avg. Score until 63,99: -1
    • Tour Master with Avg. Score from 64,00: -1,5
    • Master with Avg. Score until 65,99: -2
    • Master with Avg. Score from 66: -2,5
    • Tour Pros with Avg. Score until 69,99: -3
    • Tour Pros with Avg. Score from 70: -3,5
    • Pros: -4
    • Amateurs: -5
    • Hacks: -7

Every tier is playing from his tee, that's the additional "handicap". I think, the bug is just for the moment, not for ever. ;-)

Perhaps this could be an idea for you?

Best regards,

Robbie

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 2:32 AM

Right now you might want to consider legend +1 because there is a bug at the present time and legends are playing off the master tees in CC competitions.

• Robbie0102
    636 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 3:00 AM

Hey,

I know the bug ... the list above is used under "normal conditions". ;-)

If the bug is still "on" during our next tournament, I'll think about such an additional handicap for Legends. Thanks! :-)

Best regards,

Robbie

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 3:15 AM

just use the normal handicap system ( with a slight butcher )

if playing a par 72 course

player has average 73, then the player receives +1 stroke

(on the hole with stroke index 1 - see note on stablefords)

player has 71 average, then the player receives -1 stroke

(on the hole with stroke index 18 - see note on stablefords)

if playing a stroke play tournament the above is simple to calculate, just need to adjust handicaps based on which course is played for the par.

stablefords can also be played using the stroke indexes of the hole ( will need research on the club websites )

a player with -1 handicap will lose 1 stroke on index 18 (the easiest hole), so if it is par 4,  the player is now playing the hole as a par 3

while a player with +1 handicap has 1 stroke added to stroke index 1 (the hardest hole), if par 4, then the player is playing the hole as a par 5.

if par 70, player has average 63 ( so -7), the player loses a single stroke on holes with stroke index 12 through 18.

player has average 77 ( so +7), the player gains a single stroke on holes with stroke index 1 through 7.

this would be quite simple to track in a spreadsheet

see below for how i track my society stableford score 

http://www.solentgolfsociety.co.uk/resultssheet.html

note also, it is up to you whether or not to use the wgt "average or keep track of the real average

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 1:44 PM

thanks for the ideas, folks. establishing a USGA type handicap index would be tricky, but it would be easy for WGT to track a "real" scoring average of recent rounds... not for tier placement but as a stat (and for this type of situation)

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 2:21 PM

Hi Leon 

Ask  mike3226 we have a very good handicap system in place, not perfect but very good. He has been running it for a year now.

TAP

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 12:49 PM

TallAcePaul:

Hi Leon 

Ask  mike3226 we have a very good handicap system in place, not perfect but very good. He has been running it for a year now.

TAP

Posted on his wall, no response. I think I'm gonna try combining recent score average with WGT "average"

• PAGES
RSS