Forums

Help › Forums

Club "SPIN' RATING?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 29 2011 5:07 AM (7 replies)
  • FrankSins
    75 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 9:28 PM

A question concerning the 'spin' rating on clubs. If a club that has a 1/2 dot of spin as rated in the "Pro Shop' is used to hit a ball with a spin rating of 2, is the spin negated by the clubs inability to impart spin on the ball? It may sound like a stupid question and maybe it is but I'd like to know the answer.

Thanks

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 9:33 PM

No...both add together for more spin...not that 1/2 on the club and 1/2 on a ball would be 1 on either, but they do not negate each other.

• LeGeNdCrUsHeR
    2,067 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 9:34 PM

It will factor in how much spin is alloted by the club.  Basically, you are receiving 1.25 on the spin factor. 

• bazkitcase5
    86 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 11:44 PM

so if you purchase the cleveland wedges with a really high spin rating, then you can effectively use the cheaper balls to the same effect of the cally's with inferior clubs?

I understand that you would likely prefer to have both if you wanted to compete with the best, just trying to understand how it works

might not be such a bad idea to purchase the best wedges in the game when I am able and just use a cheaper ball for a while to save up my credits again

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 12:41 AM

bazkitcase5:

so if you purchase the cleveland wedges with a really high spin rating, then you can effectively use the cheaper balls to the same effect of the cally's with inferior clubs?

I understand that you would likely prefer to have both if you wanted to compete with the best, just trying to understand how it works

might not be such a bad idea to purchase the best wedges in the game when I am able and just use a cheaper ball for a while to save up my credits again

Yes but watch the feel rating for meter speed.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 2:55 AM

bazkitcase5:

Don't be in too much of a hurry to get the 64° Cleveland.  I know many players who still use the Z Satin at less than 1/3 the price because the Cleveland simply has too much spin.   I use the Cleveland but it took a long time to get used to it and I often considered swapping back.   In all honesty it's probably not worth the extra money over the Satin wedge which many believe is the best value item in the whole pro shop.

If however you want the very best and are prepared to pay the price and take time to learn it then go for it.  Once you get used to it it's a fantastic short game club.

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 4:00 AM

bazkitcase5:

That will work until got get to legend and then you will need to get  balls that offer more distance than most of the cheaper balls do. You want a ball with at least 2 dots distance and 2 dot spin. And if you can handle the faster meter speed then the no feel Tour S-D ball might be what you want

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 5:07 AM

MainzMan:
      I use the Cleveland but it took a long time to get used to it and I often considered swapping back.   In all honesty it's probably not worth the extra money over the Satin wedge which many believe is the best value item in the whole pro shop.

You're right about the value of that Satin but I disagree on the CG version of it. I switched back to the Satin at first because it was such a security blanket. It's very easy to learn and shoot well with. The problem was the gap to the CG60W-30 yards!! No full swing shot came close to hitting 60-70 yards so you are forced to choke swings to get there.

Once you learn the CG64W you can see how superior it is to the Satin, especially with chips and pitches and how you can control them. It's 10 yards longer than the Satin but punches 50 yards so you don't really lose anything. Fringe shots 5-10 yards away are now chip-ins and greenside bunkers can't stop the pitch out for easy up and downs.

I play with a couple of Legends that use the CGs with the free ball and they do quite well with it.

RSS