Forums

Help › Forums

Why not add a true swing feature to the game

Thu, Jan 7 2010 7:12 AM (7 replies)
  • tcmae
    32 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 8:50 PM
    It wouldn't be bad if this game would add a true swing feature to this game. It would make the game much better, and much more challanging. Well I'm not saying, that the current click swing feature on how we hit the ball should be taken off, and replaces with a true swing feature. But should be added to the game as an option on how you want to hit the ball. The true swing feature like in Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online, where you have to move the mouse down and up to hit the ball, and in which way you move the mouse, the ball will go that way. Since this game is already really realistic in the graphics, it would be more realistic if you guys add a true swing option, it will make the game more realistic. Also you guys should add options on how you want to hit the ball, like we should be able to hit fades and draws. Add the options of hitting fades and draws on the swing menu also. These features will make the game much better, and much more realistic.
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 9:26 PM

... because mice suck, to be honest.    Anyway, I dislike them personally. I very much prefer the controls offered by TWO: you can play an entire TWO round without touching the mouse a single time; everything can be accomplished via the keyboard, and a lot quicker than with the mouse.

Besides, someone mentioned it's very easy to cheat with the "True Swing": you can simply put a ruler (or something similar) next to your mouse, ensuring you will hit the shot perfectly straight every time. Who needs even more cheating than there already is in this game?

Therefore, my counter-suggestion would be: employ keyboard-only, mouse-free mode of playing the WGT game.  

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 12:22 AM

The best swing mimic I ever experienced at the desktop computer was Powerstroke in the Links2001 game. You had to keep the line, hit the snap point, and even club lengths were customizable (of course highly coupled with swing precision required to execute shot properly). There were 3 modes with different difficulty level. There was even non-grid option to read the greens (which I loved and which improved my putting irl). Anyway, since Links2001 was released by certain company from Redmond, which aquired it from the original creators of the Links series, Powerstroke might have been patented :(

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 5:51 AM

WojciechMigda:
    You had to keep the line

Was it possible to cheat, as described above? (For example, by using a ruler to ensure that your sliding the mouse was always a perfectly straight line?)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 5:53 AM

Yes.

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 6:09 AM

Faterson:

WojciechMigda:
    You had to keep the line

Was it possible to cheat, as described above? (For example, by using a ruler to ensure that your sliding the mouse was always a perfectly straight line?)

If I visualize such action correctly, then whoever trying that would be loosing smoothness of the mouse movement due to friction between the mouse and the liner. I remember that in attempts to keeps the mouse performance at the max everyone was cleaning his mouse wheels once a while (optical mice were a novetly then), and there were even discussions about which mousepad is best :) Anyway, as YJ mentioned, technicaly cheating with the liner was possible. Nevertheless, Powerstroke as an idea, is still something I go back in my memories.

I think you could still find demos of Links2001 or LS99 (it had Powerstroke too) around the internet to give it a try if you never seen it in action before. AFAIR in Links2003 they modified Powerstroke into something unusable, so avoid that.

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 6:34 AM

Faterson:
    Besides, someone mentioned it's very easy to cheat with the "True Swing": you can simply put a ruler (or something similar) next to your mouse, ensuring you will hit the shot perfectly straight every time.

It was me... from this thread.  And no... plastic on plastic does not generate enough friction to impede a smooth stroke.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 7:12 AM

I got a buddy that plays TWO and thats what he told me about the "true swing" just put something beside the mouse to guide it so you hit it straight every time.I would hate to see that implemented here because I like the way it is now.If I'm using the current swing method and my opponent is using the new afore mentioned method,I believe my opponent would have a slight advantage.

I'd like to see them add a few extra yards to the clubs.When you draw the club back,you would be able to go past the point that is offered now,just put a line there.But if you go for the extra yards and don't hit it "excellent" the mis-hit would be more severe.

RSS