Forums

Help › Forums

Scoring Average

Mon, Jan 9 2012 1:48 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • rarpicharpard
    12 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 10:24 AM

How can I enter a tournament with a 70 stroke average, shoot 71 and my average drop to 69.88? The reverse also, how can I shoot a 77 and my average not go up?

• cycle1979
    1,555 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 1:04 PM

Your average is based on your best 25-100+ rounds.  I don't know the exact value and I believe it changes depending on tier.  

Let's just use 50 as an example and say you have just played 50 rounds at your tier with an average of 70.  The average is based on some really good scores and some really bad scores.  When you shoot the 71.. it eliminates one of your very bad scores and your "average" drops.  When you shoot the 77, it must have been above any of your worst scores so it was not counted into your "average".

Does this make sense??  I'm sure there have been other forums based on this question and there may be an answer with the exact numbers but I think this will help you make sense of it.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 2:00 PM

Right. Your "score average" is really a "best score average" after you've played a certain number of rounds at your current tier. To make it even simpler, let's say it's based on only your two best scores, and player X's are 68 and 72, for an average of 70. If he shoots a 75, no change. If he shoots a 71, it drops to 69.5. 

• rarpicharpard
    12 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:15 AM

This makes absolutely no sense. So you are saying they just throw out your worst scores and only calculate one that is best or better than one of your lower scores? I am sure glad that the handicap system in golf doesn't work this way.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 7:17 PM

rarpicharpard:
    So you are saying they just throw out your worst scores and only calculate one that is best or better than one of your lower scores? I am sure glad that the handicap system in golf doesn't work this way.

Actually, it does work that way... sort of. The main difference is that the handicap uses only your recent scores (best 10 of last 20.... so, your worst scores are thrown out) I think it's done this way to make it harder to sandbag

• EdSubpar
    24 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 3:31 PM

WGT should consider a change in calculating averages.  You should throw away the best 2 or 3 scores.  If I have an exceptional round, say a 64, but I normally shoot 72, the 64, being the best round I've ever played should not be figured in to the average. 

I've made this and other suggestions to Members@wgt.com, but that is like not writing anyone.  I get responses rarely and the responses I do get usually skirt the issue I'm talking about.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2012 4:38 PM

The handicapping system before all this 0.1 business was brought in was directly related to your best golf. So if you shoot 7 under round your home course then your handicap will be very close to that number.

And that is how it should be, but now it has got so technical, you need a computer program to calculate it all.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2012 9:48 PM

oneeyedjohn:

And that is how it should be, but now it has got so technical, you need a computer program to calculate it all.

No you don't. You just let WGT do all the calculations and you just enjoy the game.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sun, Jan 8 2012 10:11 AM

The "score average" is used for tier placement, and shouldn't be thought of as a score average, since it's really not. IMO, WGT should ADD an actual score average, as a statistic, that could be used to track progress, pair up players in cc tourneys, set handicaps, etc. Since the data is already computed by WGT, it would be very, very easy for them to do this.

• 3puttsSuk
    361 Posts
    Sun, Jan 8 2012 11:22 AM

The old way to calculate scoring average:

From the FAQ’s:
     Your Average Score is the weighted average of your ten best out of your last fourteen stroke play scores (Practice rounds are not included). Your most recent scores are weighted more heavily to ensure there is no "sandbagging".

Found this looking through old posts.  Made good sense to me.  Now it seems you can only get better no matter what kind of slump you could be in.

• PAGES
RSS