Help › Forums

Method to ding putts?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 1 2012 10:08 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:05 AM

Intentionally missing ding will considerably diminish the distance of any shot from tee to green. To compensate for this loss of distance, one will need to add a bit more meter power to each shot hit off-ding. Slightly more feet of power is needed on putts that have big swinging break so the ball will hold the line as well, or the ball will simply roll below the hole every-time.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:36 AM

casperturk:

Longwedge:

Well, I use the "Intentional Miss" method ........Meaning I read the break, move my aimer just short of where I want it, then intentionally miss on either the left or right side of the ding line, 

-Long

'I know what you mean but i don't get it. If you're good enough to read the break just short of where I want it, why not move it that fraction to put it in the right place and ding the putt.

It's a valid question, and I wish I had a mathematical valid answer...but I just have a gut feel that missing the ding against the break helps the putt hold its line.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Mantis says he uses the method too, and he's a fine quality player.

-Long

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:40 AM

Richard4168:

Intentionally missing ding will considerably diminish the distance of any shot from tee to green. To compensate for this loss of distance, one will need to add a bit more meter power to each shot hit off-ding. Slightly more feet of power is needed on putts that have big swinging break so the ball will hold the line as well, or the ball will simply roll below the hole every-time.

I don't intentionally miss off the tee that often unless there is a very high wind from side to side.  Approach shots on the other hand, I will miss intentionally into the wind...but you need to account for it in your distance.

-Long

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 2:25 PM

Longwedge:

casperturk:

Longwedge:

Well, I use the "Intentional Miss" method ........Meaning I read the break, move my aimer just short of where I want it, then intentionally miss on either the left or right side of the ding line, 

-Long

'I know what you mean but i don't get it. If you're good enough to read the break just short of where I want it, why not move it that fraction to put it in the right place and ding the putt.

It's a valid question, and I wish I had a mathematical valid answer...but I just have a gut feel that missing the ding against the break helps the putt hold its line.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Mantis says he uses the method too, and he's a fine quality player.

-Long

Thks Long for you kind words :)

I only Intentionally miss the ding when Putting. Back in the old days(me friends say when I started back in the stone-age...lol) I found it harder to move the Aimer, but that's just me. With all the Vids out now showing you how it's done, it's allot easier. Missing the ding was heaps easier for me at the time and I stuck to it...still took allot of games to get it working, but now I'm flying.

It you play long enough you get to know the rolls and where to click the meter. For extreme rolls then you would have to still move the aimer because the meter doesn't extend that far...lol. Each course is different though with the rolls and where to click. For fast breaks R to L you have to hit the ball a bit harder than you think...those are the ones I like...The L to R putts I have a few probs with. Be very careful with the downhill putts though... the more downhill it is, the less you hit it...and the wider on the meter to click.

Eg...St.A#1.. if the ball goes behind the hole with the pin at front...the roll will always be the same... slowish R to L... Click just past ding and if you have the speed right will go in. If you miss, then start to think..need to hit a bit wider or I hit it too wide...for next time. Remember, there is always a next time... Even takes notes.. this putt I click here for that hole and roll, gives you a good idea the next time...

If you land around the same spot all the time, the roll will be the same each time.. the slower the roll the better. This is where you start to get to know where to click meter and how hard to hit it.

When you first start though... get the Distance Control worked out first. I use the Avatar movement on the putter to get my distance for each putt. I worked on a 2 putt policy at the start (with reason), you don't want to 2 putt from 5ft out, but that is still easy done now still...lol. I've been known to 3 putt from 6ft away, and that's punch the wall time...lol. I made sure I had the distance correct first when I first started and rest fell into place.

I find the 30ft putts easier than the 4ft putts now....shhh, don't tell anyone...lol

Now I just have to work out my approach shots...but that's another story.

Everybody is different...find a good thing and stick to it. Get in 2 minds...should I aim and ding or should i miss the ding... then you will get into trouble. Find the method that's easier for you then stick to like glue until you get good at it... then occasionally you can revert to the other way.

Just remember the rolls on the green never change. Just where the balls ends up and the pin placements, that changes the rolls. If you can land the same spot most of the time( I know, what ya's thinking...lol) then the roll will be the same.

-Roger

Edit....  Nobody is perfect when putting... there will always be something to stuff you up.

• labordayk
    389 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:21 PM

I think the advantage to playing outside the lines is that it gives me an area to aim at rather than a line.  In other words, I think it gives more margin for error.  I explain my method in more detail in this thread on the subject -

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/78616/495710.aspx#495710

Richard4168:

Intentionally missing ding will considerably diminish the distance of any shot from tee to green.

I would agree with that, except for the word "considerably", but I imagine that considerable is in the eye of the beholder.

I play drives so that I aim well in front of or behind the ding line, in fact beyond the lines on either side of the "ding".  I recently decided to try to see how much yardage I was losing with my method, but it was hard to determine.  The best I could figure was maybe 5 or 10 yards tops.  So sometimes I might have to play a longer club on approach, but I'll trade that for landing more often in the fairway.

I don't aim as extreme on approach, just use a mix of moving the marker and moving the ding to compensate for the wind, and I really don't notice much difference in yardage, but I'm sure it could effect it by a yard or two.

On the green, however, unless it's a very long putt with a good bit of break, I don't notice a difference in power from clicking on the ding line to clicking around the lines on either side.

Of course, that's just me and my clubs, and other people and their clubs might/probably disagree.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Sat, Jan 28 2012 6:27 AM

labordayk:

I think the advantage to playing outside the lines is that it gives me an area to aim at rather than a line.  In other words, I think it gives more margin for error.

That's the best way I've seen it explained.

• biggestal99
    13 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:39 AM

Longwedge:

Well, I use the "Intentional Miss" method unless I'm dealing with a perfectly strait putt.  Meaning I read the break, move my aimer just short of where I want it, then intentionally miss on either the left or right side of the ding line, whichever way I need to add more break. If you are going to try this...always miss against the break.  If you miss with the break, you are going to end up pretty far away from the hole.

-Long

Right-o. I also intentionally miss the ding depending on the putt. also put a couple of extra feet on big breaking putts makes a difference when you constantly leave a putt a few inches short,

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 9:59 AM

I don't know why I didn't think to mention this before, but you will see me using a much longer putter than the putt allows. I like to operate in the first 25% of the meter.

For instance, I don't use my 15 foot meter for 15 foot putts, I will very often use my 60 foot meter for it, thus keeping the meter movement much shorter.  With a 30 foot putt, I will usually use my 90 foot meter. With a 50 foot putt, I will use my 150 foot meter.

I find the less the meter moves, more likely I am to ding the putt.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 10:08 AM

Longwedge:
    I find the less the meter moves, more likely I am to ding the putt.

This is exactly what makes the avatar move method work. One thing you have to be aware of, though, is that your misses are magnified using the higher scales. That is to say, a 1 pixel miss might translate to 2 or 3 at the hole, depending on the scale you use.

• PAGES
RSS