Forums

Help › Forums

Who measured the average distance for the 8i?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 10 2012 4:52 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 8:59 AM

You're correct the R11 8 iron is the most psychotic club I've ever had. I avoid it at all costs. If I have a shot that comes out to 150 with wind and elevation factored in I will either use the 9 with TS or the 7 full bs and take some off. Just depends on the landing area.

I "thought" the 8 was predictable to go 151 with full BS. Not after using it a few times. Even not touching the spin it's all over the place.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:42 AM

Guys... the reason for your "long deviations" are simple. 

Your high-distance (Callaway, Nike, Srixon) balls give your shots extra distance.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 1:10 PM

SgtDoodles:

Your high-distance (Callaway, Nike, Srixon) balls give your shots extra distance.

I'm not sure about the other guys but the point of my post was the 8 iron is not consistent. The ball has nothing to do with it. If it did the other clubs wouldn't be consistent either.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 4:30 PM

SgtDoodles:

Sgt:

I know Nike, Callaways and other balls have an extra distance, but disregarding wind, with any other iron I lose distance when I use backspin. In almost windless conditions, I have used full bs with the next club in my bag, the 7i and it goes around 158( out of 165) The 6i(180) loses around 10 yds, the PW(120) between 4 and 10, the 9i(135) loses around 5 yards... all this depends on elevation and other factors( Hit the PW full bs 14 mph tailwind yesterday in a bit elevated green and it went only 114) All this with the balls that supposedly give extra distance... The fact that you are hitting the ball low makes it have a higher trajectory, thus losing distance. What I said before doesn't always apply to that club. I pay close attention to what I get with every club when I use bs... against the wind a ball with a higher trajectory should lose a few yds, not go over the distance of the club. I mentioned before that used 1/4 bs against the wind an landed at 154... in another used full, took a few yds off the club and went 147, that won't happen with any other of the irons, less with the shorter ones, to me the shots with that club don't make sense 50 % of the time.  When I bring the topic is because I have experienced it many times. To me it is almost a fact that there is something wrong with that club that won't react consistently like others to backspin. I know what you mean about getting more distance from better balls, but they also have more backspin and higher trajectory when you apply it. 

• misstery
    705 Posts
    Fri, Jan 20 2012 1:57 AM

Might be some new irons are about to be launched, the burners went very peculiar just before the Rii's came out. I just got my 135 iron to 184 yds :))

I can't hit a thing straight this week, but we all accepted their terms

You acknowledge and agree that that in the course of providing this dynamic environment, WGT will, without providing notice, be making ongoing modifications and improvements to the Game Software from time to time in the course of the operation and development of the Site. Such changes may affect the performance and interaction of individual components of the games, performance of virtual items, contests and challenges available on the Site.

In addition, you agree that WGT retains the sole and unfettered right to change, remove or modify the available virtual items from time to time (which may among other things make one or more virtual items more or less effective or functional, more common or less common, or eliminated entirely).

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Jan 20 2012 8:20 AM

Kind of like tremors before the earthquake.

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Fri, Jan 20 2012 9:07 AM

You are right Soyel, the 8i is unpredictable. Just got the rll ironsa couple of days ago and the 8 i (never) goes the correct distance. It seems like a problem that wgt needs to fix. Thanks for posting, thought it was just me.

• unipet
    14 Posts
    Fri, Jan 20 2012 9:19 AM

I understand the variation in the irons in relation to the ping bar. I need help with the backspin. My clubs and balls are rated hi backspin. I place the dot on the ball low and still get no backspin. why?

• TarheelsRule
    5,554 Posts
    Fri, Jan 20 2012 10:01 AM

I haven't seen this with the R11 eight iron.  I use mainly the WGT G1S1 balls and the distance seems spot on.  If I use full backspin it goes 150, no spin it carries about 152 and rolls to 155, overspin can get you 2 more yards.

If I play with the NIKE ball and any wind over 8 mph the distances are inconsistent, I give up the slower meter and a few yards of distance to avoid the inconsistent distances into a wind that the Callaways and Nikes give.  

I think that the problem is more of a ball issue than a club issue.

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Fri, Feb 10 2012 4:52 PM

misstery:

Might be some new irons are about to be launched, the burners went very peculiar just before the Rii's came out. I just got my 135 iron to 184 yds :))

Haha u know what's funny? You were right. The G20s came out @(^_^)@

• PAGES
RSS