Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:54 AM (8 replies)
  • putterdog
    6,719 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 8:43 PM

just wondering how to get to tour pro?

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 11:07 PM

You need to shoot a fair number of around par/under par rounds.

• Kindle2010
    602 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 10:38 PM

Play ranked stroke play games, and get better

• Deonza
    1 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 12:23 AM

You need to play 30 ranked rounds and your average score needs to be under 72.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 8:14 AM

Okay.

I had an earlier thread up regarding this. I didn't get a satisfactory answer. I was in Pro tier for about 3 weeks. Had gotten pretty good, managing to finish in top 100 a few times. Then, boom, I was in TP. Yet when I look at tourneys I see that the winners in the Pro tier have averages in the 60's. How do they do that? Why didn't they go to TP when their averages hit low 70's like I did? 

Deja vu. As you can easily see, my average in TP is nearing 72. I'm starting to finish in top 100 sometimes. I guess I'll be getting what I consider a premature promotion pretty soon.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:00 AM

Jim it can happen if someone plays almost all practice rounds and very few ranked.  They get good practicing, then hit a few great ranked rounds and have a low average.  But they haven't played enough ranked rounds to go to the next tier, hence they don't advance.

Technically it isn't against any rules but it sure counts as sandbagging in my book.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:33 AM

Thanks again, Mainz. Your answer to the earlier post came closest. 

Hmm. So, I guess I can forget about finishing a top 10, barring the miraculous. One idea that's probably been floated and quashed before: How about a credit or two for finishing top 100? It'd be a small sop for those of us progressing without subterfuge. 

Last week, I think, early in a 9 hole tourney, I shot 3 under. That was good enough for a tie for 102nd. Hi Ho.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:03 AM

You'll leave a lot of sandbaggers behind as you advance up the tiers, by the time you get to tour master most of them are gone.  I found I did best in ready go's just before advancing to the next tier, not too big a surprise really I guess.   If you feel you are advancing too quickly take a look at your score history and check you are playing all the courses fairly evenly.  It's easy to only play the ones you like and can score well on but it will give you an artifically low average and can get you promoted before you're ready.  It's the opposite of sandbagging I suppose. 

I just had a quick look at your history and you seem to prefer St. Andrews and Kiawah, I don't of course know what the monthly and weekly tourney courses were but I guess you're mostly playing these 2 courses.  I know it's horrible to play Oakmont and hit bogie after bogie but it's something you have to do if you want to improve your game a lot.  

I'd also advice dropping the hybrid and carrying a 3rd wedge, you'll use it a lot more than the hybrid and a good short game will save you many shots.  Have a look in your bag, there might be something you didn't notice at Christmas  : )

And wait until you become a legend, -3 won't get you anywhere.  I played a 9 hole RG today, birdied the 1st, screwed the 2nd and got a double bogie, par on 3 and birdied the rest for a 5 under.  And I got half my money back.  To win as a legend you need to have at least 8 or 9 under for 9 holes.  It's tough at the top.  And I ain't even there yet!

• leprachuan
    39 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:54 AM

can u tell me how to get to sesame street

RSS