Forums

Help › Forums

oakmont #9 how?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 18 2012 2:30 PM (7 replies)
  • crgade
    490 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:29 PM

just asking what is the best way to play this hole can regularly hit a drive down the fairway 260-280 yrds then ....................boom

is it better to go for flag ?

or say to heck with it lets go play in sand ?

whats better for headwind and tailwind?

is there anyway to stop the ball?

am playing for bogey or worse right now...........HELP PLEASE

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:35 PM

original pin location and I am playing for par.

after a decent drive I'm aiming for rough, bunker or fairway in line w/ the pin - missing to the right beats left.  If there is a headwind and I am feeling brave (not hard w/ r11 irons) I may go for it, but want nothing above the hole for sure.

to get up & down I play it much like a mini Bethpage Black #15 approach; toss it a little above the hole and it usually comes back nicely, full backspin of course. 

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:42 PM

I almost never go for the flag unless it's really good head wind. Park in sand or rough, hit wedge and try to par.

either pins. no need to get bitten unless you really think you can get close

-wgticon

• MadMP
    75 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:52 PM

I really hate this hole so most of the time I'm going for the sand and hope I par. This hole for me is the toughest of all holes on all courses. If you hit the green with your second shot your putt after that is usually a nightmare.

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 2:15 PM

Piece of cake LOL

;o)

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 2:25 PM

I assume you're talking about the front right pin. Some will say hit it in the sand, but I keep it short and/or left of the bunker, and try to leave myself a good yardage, like a punch, full bs 64 wedge distance. Keep that below the hole and, hopefully, you've got less than 10 foot uphill for par. You can play the hole over and over again in the community>courses tab; just tee off with a 3 iron or whatever to put you at your normal drive distance. 

• RUNWME
    1,011 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 2:27 PM

crgade:

just asking what is the best way to play this hole can regularly hit a drive down the fairway 260-280 yrds then ....................boom

is it better to go for flag ?

or say to heck with it lets go play in sand ?

whats better for headwind and tailwind?

is there anyway to stop the ball?

am playing for bogey or worse right now...........HELP PLEASE

You can play the hole here

http://www.wgt.com/courses/hole.aspx?course=Oakmont&hole=9

Practice hitting it into the bunker  as this is a good bail out area and getting comfortable coming out. Its a pretty safe par from there with chances of birdie.  I hit my 64 cleveland about half the meter with full backspin and aim a little to the left as green will feed it back right. If you hit with too much.

With r11's and nike balls I go for the pin most everytime and try to land just a bit left of  pin. With 2.0 irons and calls, I wouldnt  do it without a headwind to help checkup the ball.

• RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 2:30 PM

The hole has become less of a problem with the new R11 irons and the Nike balls. It's a "lay up for par" hole with anything less.

RSS