Forums

Help › Forums

MLK Day??

Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:02 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Possmguts
    30 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 5:46 AM

Whats the deal with celebrating MLK day with free balls when I saw NOTHING on here about Pearl Harbor Day last month. (remember that one?)

Celebrating a man that was a bigot and beat and cheated on his wife is not in my Holiday calender.

I'll pass on those free balls and get my credits another day.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 7:24 AM

Martin Luther King Jr. did an amazing amount of work to gain civil rights for African Americans. King became the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, which was awarded to him for leading non-violent resistance to end racial prejudice in the United States. He will be long known also as one of the best orators in US history. In terms of this so called 'cheating,' it is only an allegation. Shame on you if you cannot appreciate him.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 7:39 AM

What I believe is that, no matter what holiday is celebrated, WGT might really give out the best ball type as a bonus, the GI-SD balls. They're really fabulous, and it might promote their sales, if many players received them as gifts. For me, it's simply not worth spending money on credits just for the sake of GI2-D balls.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 8:19 AM

I'll take a day off, when offered, anytime. I do find it rude that we used to do the same honor for General Washington, the father of our country, but no longer, at least not in a singular way. For me, that is very hard to square. I also will be passing on the golf balls.

• Possmguts
    30 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 8:37 AM

I knew you would all take that wrong, I could name a thousand names of just as or more deserving people to be honered.

Sure he did good for the people.... BUT his work warrants a national hollidy as much as all those never metioned.

MLK day always has been and always will be over rated.

• Possmguts
    30 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 8:49 AM

Didnt say I dont appreciate his work, he did do great things for for this Country..... but dont they give Nobel Peace Prizes to just about anyone now??

Didn't they give one to Obama too....... in the middle of a war as well? Whats that all about?

All I'm saying is...... I would be more inclined to buy credits for a differant cause...... maybe "HAITI" for instance.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:23 AM
    One man's dream is another man's nightmare I guess. I'm still trying to square Columbus Day (comes after Leif Ericson day too...funny). So to WGT please accept my whiter than new fallen snow money. To Possmguts don't hurt your fingers texting ..."Haiti" to 90999...:)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:28 AM

While I do appreciate all the hard work that was done by MLK and other black leaders during the 60's through today.  The thought of a national holiday is absurb, I tend to agree with Jesse Helms former US Senator from North Carolina who was the one vote against giving the Panama Canal back to Panama and also voted against making MLK day a federal holiday.  His opinion was not that the man did not deserve to be recognized but that the US government could not afford another paid holiday.  There are many great men who do not have a holiday, Ben Franklin, Alexander Hamilton, Bobby Kennedy, etc. does this mean that none of them were as worthy.

• Possmguts
    30 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:31 AM

TarheelsRule:

While I do appreciate all the hard work that was done by MLK and other black leaders during the 60's through today.  The thought of a national holiday is absurb, I tend to agree with Jesse Helms former US Senator from North Carolina who was the one vote against giving the Panama Canal back to Panama and also voted against making MLK day a federal holiday.  His opinion was not that the man did not deserve to be recognized but that the US government could not afford another paid holiday.  There are many great men who do not have a holiday, Ben Franklin, Alexander Hamilton, Bobby Kennedy, etc. does this mean that none of them were as worthy.

Thank you Tarheels, That what I'm saying..... just not as eloquently put as you.

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 11:19 AM
    The promotion is probably less about what is being commemorated than it is about this holiday being one where there is likely no celebration or family get together planned, thus (in theory) freeing up more time for WGT play.
  • PAGES
RSS