Help › Forums

Hey Everyone!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 31 2012 5:53 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JessMarie
    5 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2012 7:01 PM

My name is Jessica. I spend a lot of time traveling for golf so this will keep me plenty busy in hotels.

I just started today and 5 hours in I must say I am hooked. Played a lot of practice rounds and just shot a -2 on my first 9 holes ranked! That got me even more hooked.

I do have a couple of questions though if anyone can be so kind to answer.

1. Is the money earned on this site real or just to buy things on the site?... And what is the best way to get earnings to buy things like clubs and balls?

2. In practice rounds it offers different green speeds. How can you play on different speeds in ranked games?

3. I visited the tips forum and read a lot of different things that have already helped a ton, but can someone continue to do well with the equipment you start with? Or are you pretty much stuck buying equipment at some point?

4. If I do buy equipment should I wait until I get further in levels because it seems like I would be spending an awful lot if I keep buying new stuff everytime.

Thank you in advance for everyones help.

I am sorry in advance also if I am beating a dead horse with these questions.

Thanks again :)

Another addicted golfer!

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:43 AM

Hi & Welcome

-wgticon

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:07 AM

Welcome and this game can be very addictive and fun, but can be harsh sometimes too.

1/The credits on this site is not real money, although.. if you get to the Elite stage, then it can be worthwhile.  If you don't want to use your cash, then the Surveys can get you credits...not sure about them though, buts heaps of people utilize them.

2/ Set up a ranked round with somebody from a higher Tier... The green speed will default to there level.

3/ Reading the Forums is a great idea for hints and tips. You will get to the stage that you might have to upgrade to better clubs.

4/When buying clubs, the higher level you are, the better. When I first started the Raptures were pretty good.. The G10's are not that bad too.

Good Luck

Roger

• JessMarie
    5 Posts
    Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:52 AM

thank you so much for the input. It helps a lot.

I just played a couple of those alternate shot games. I am disappointed in the amount of cursing and harassment that is present in the games. I had to close the chat box because it was that bad. I don't think I will get to much involved in it which is disappointing because it seemed to be pretty fun.

I don't mind putting a 100 dollars or so onto the site but in your opinion is it worth it?

When I do something in life I want to be the best at it. So that would be my intention if I were to invest in the game. I literally played for like seven hours straight in practice round mode. So I can see this game being like a drug, lol.

I would really appreciate it if someone that is professional would become a friend so I can have someone to play with that won't be so disrespectful towards me.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

- Jessica

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Wed, Jan 25 2012 8:57 PM

Hey Jess,

Welcome to WGT.  If I may make a suggestion, wait a little bit before you start to purchase clubs.  Go ahead and use your starter stuff for now.  You seem to have the right idea, meaning do a lot of practice rounds, play a few ranked rounds in between.  Just get to know the courses. 

You also seem to be taking to the game quickly, but no need to move too fast.  Just play some rounds and when you get up around level 25 or so, then start looking at new clubs...as there will be a lot more available.  Keep the game challenging for yourself...just because you CAN upgrade, doesn't mean you should.

Good luck, and welcome

-Longwedge

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 5:54 AM

Hi Jesse and welcome to the mad house,

Just a couple of tips for you to think about:

1/ Make a few friends and try and play the A/S games with them. You will not get any abuse or bad comments if you stick to Friends.

2/ Have a look around the country clubs, see if you can find one that takes newbies. You will get a lot of advice from members and they usually always have a CC Tournament or two running every week. Good fun.

3/ Practice different shots, ie, Pitching, chipping, flopping etc. The more you can improve your short game the better. You can actually go to WGTCOMMUNITY at the top of the page and click on Courses in the drop down menu. Here you can choose any single hole on any course and take up to 10 shots before they chuck you off. Then just click play again.

Ideal for practicing shots, or Putting practice.

4/ There are quite a few post's in the forums about different shots and there is a really good one on Putting Distance's That virtually gives you all you need to know because it uses the starter putter and standard green speed as the example. suggest you look them up and read.

Must say they helped me a lot.

Most of all, Have Fun and good golfing to you.

MEL1950

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 7:35 AM

JessMarie:
    I don't mind putting a 100 dollars or so onto the site but in your opinion is it worth it?

Living out of your suitcase for stretches at a time is reason enough. As a browser based game you can play it anywhere and you probably have loads of down time to occupy sitting in that hotel room or waiting in the airport. $100 will go a very long way here and the reward is you become more addicted and better at it. Become involved like the suggestions above and you have a whole community travelling with you. Look up Longwedge-he plays 1/2 his games on the road.

You can blow $100 in a few evenings on the road and it's gone. Spend it here and it stays with you and then some.  GL

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 1:16 AM

YankeeJim:

JessMarie:

Living out of your suitcase for stretches at a time is reason enough. As a browser based game you can play it anywhere and you probably have loads of down time to occupy sitting in that hotel room or waiting in the airport. $100 will go a very long way here and the reward is you become more addicted and better at it. Become involved like the suggestions above and you have a whole community travelling with you. Look up Longwedge-he plays 1/2 his games on the road.

You can blow $100 in a few evenings on the road and it's gone. Spend it here and it stays with you and then some.  GL

Photobucket

Longwedge likes this

Yep, I spend 40-42 weeks per year in a hotel room...so I'm on WGT quite often.  I actually play more like 95% of my games on the road.  When I'm home I close the laptop and spend time with the family.  Spending a few bucks here more than likely keeps me from bigger and more costly vices elsewhere.

• superchuck
    210 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:45 AM

JessMarie:

thank you so much for the input. It helps a lot.

I just played a couple of those alternate shot games. I am disappointed in the amount of cursing and harassment that is present in the games. I had to close the chat box because it was that bad. I don't think I will get to much involved in it which is disappointing because it seemed to be pretty fun.

When I do something in life I want to be the best at it. So that would be my intention if I were to invest in the game. I literally played for like seven hours straight in practice round mode. So I can see this game being like a drug, lol.

I would really appreciate it if someone that is professional would become a friend so I can have someone to play with that won't be so disrespectful towards me.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

- Jessica

Cursing can be a problem, peoples sensitivities should be considered and weighed.  I try to imagine that the strangers I'm playing, could in all likelyhood, be someone like my sainted grandmother. If one feels the need for vugarity there ARE alternatives.

Welcome to the site, as a fellow traveler, there is no better time waste than this game!

• jimwade35
    480 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2012 8:22 AM

Wecome to us both!!!

Am only a few weeks into so far........am also in the Great Lake Hitters.......

I can curse with the best of them........just not on line. Mine usually happens on the real course. Anyway welcome. Seems you have a real nack for this. good luck and just have fun.

Jim

• PAGES
RSS