Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How the average is calculated?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 21 2014 3:26 PM (7 replies)
  • ScottinMontreal
    3 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 6:20 PM

Not totally sure this is the proper category but couldnt figure where else to post.  

I am aware already  that your daily average is based more or less on most recent rounds played ( last 10 or whatever). And also the "bad rounds" either dont make it go up much or they somehow toss out the best and worst? I am a Master level fast approaching the TM, or so i thought. Anyone is free to check my profile for all recent scores, I broke the 64 mark well over a month ago, and ever since maybe 63.75 or so, I have been playing alone,entering only unlimited tourneys or making ranked games myself. (so there would be no chance of even slightly going back up and taking even longer) . I have played this way for at least a month maybe longer, posting only under par scores with the exception of maybe one or two evens and its ridiculous how long it takes to drop! A perfect example happened just a few days ago, my avg then was 63.38. I played a tourney in my CC with conditions perfect for a very low round ( for me). I shot a 62 and was giddy. You can imagine the shock when I finished and it had dropped only .05!...I was like WHAT?..youre kidding me!..Any of you out there with this experience in the past  or more insight into how this is figured could explain?..

Thanks guys and sorry this was so long

• MioKontic
    4,645 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 3:49 AM

Think yourself lucky I say.  I have a 63.xx average and the other day shot a 27 over 9 holes (equivalent to 54 over 18) and only came down 0.02.  Yet when I shot a 64 (less than 1 shot above my average) I went up 0.01.  I've given up trying to figure it out, just go and play the best you can and you will get there... eventually.

I have never kept a record of my scores, but I think many have and I believe it is actaully worked out accurately over your last n number of rounds, where n is different for each tier and increases exponentially!

• ScottinMontreal
    3 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 8:42 AM

MioKontic:

Think yourself lucky I say.  I have a 63.xx average and the other day shot a 27 over 9 holes (equivalent to 54 over 18) and only came down 0.02.  Yet when I shot a 64 (less than 1 shot above my average) I went up 0.01.  I've given up trying to figure it out, just go and play the best you can and you will get there... eventually.

I have never kept a record of my scores, but I think many have and I believe it is actaully worked out accurately over your last n number of rounds, where n is different for each tier and increases exponentially!

Thanks Mio and btw you dont have to keep a record WGT does it, Go on your profile and look at "score history". I dont really know how far back it goes but when i stopped looking last night i was already back to sometime last August.

• shamilitaktak
    35 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 8:53 PM

Your average is a weighted average of 10 from yr last 14 rounds (where a round is classed as 18 holes).

Basically they disregard yr worst 4 of yr last 14 and average the 10 best.

I'm approaching TM tier and have to hit a -4 (over 9 holes) to move by 0.05, -5 drops me by 0.1. I shot an even round recently and my score went up by 0.01.

Obviously it will depend on which score is replaced by shooting a good score ie shooting a -7 will mean the -7 becomes part of the calculation and the highest score which was previously included will now be discarded, if this was -1 yr score will be more affected than if yr previous high score was -3.

I think I should stop now as I think by going on I'm making it sound more complicated but basically just remember 10 BEST FROM LAST 14.

Oh and you have to have shot a certain amount of rounds on each tier to tier up although yr average will be calculated in the same way (didn't I say I was stopping?!) ie say you tier up to TM and in your first 2 rounds you shoot a 58 followed by a 60, yr average will be 59 but even though you are under the threshold for legend you won't tier up to legend as you haven't played enough rounds at the TM tier yet.

Hope this helps

• crgade
    490 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2012 11:38 AM

actually I believe its based once you have reached the proper number of games ie 50 for TM or I have heard 400 for legend

your average will not go up at this point

but your average will be calculated on your BEST 50 games at TM level

not sure for legend am learning as am only 45 games into legend

these are wgt rules  I believe the best 10 of your last 14 is for real life

• MioKontic
    4,645 Posts
    Wed, Apr 25 2012 12:03 PM

You are right, it is your best 50 for TM and 400 for Legend.  If you haven't played the required number of games at a tier, the average is calculated from the games you have played.  Once you reach that number, your average no longer goes up whatever score you shoot.  But any score that is better than the worst will get put into the calculation and the worst score will be dropped.  Once I reached my 400 games at Legend I was amazed how much quicker the average started coming down; that was due to some rather high scores being dropped from the calculation, which were some CC games involving starter equipment off Legend tees... not recommended!

Hope that makes sense.

• dyashpal
    286 Posts
    Tue, Jan 21 2014 12:53 AM

Please enlighten me some one out/ there!

I recently Turned TM @ Avg 63.88 (1901/2014 night for me) NEXT DAY I WAKE UP TO AN AVG.70.00 AS TM??

20/01 I play 18 St.Georges 2 under get 1.00 down on Avg ; I play St.Andrews 7 under get down ONLY 0.37 Avg.

Its very confusing Please HELP 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Jan 21 2014 3:26 PM

When you tier up, all numbers concerning the average reset. Thus, your first TM round of 35 at RSG defined your first new average, doubled from the 9 hole result: 35 x 2 = 70

These are all of your TM results until now - not easy to determine the courses because many are CC tournaments:

01.21.14 St Andrews Links: The Old Course Back 9 Tour Master 35
    01.20.14 Congressional C.C. Back 9 Tour Master 36
    01.20.14 January Monthly Tournament St. Andrews Full 18 Full 18 Master 65
    01.20.14 Easy Rider Front 9 All Players 34
    01.20.14 Seniors Race Home Back 9 All Players 34
    01.20.14 Easy Rider Front 9 All Players 32
    01.20.14 Bethpage Black Back 9 Tour Master 37
    01.20.14 Sccc 4 Person Team Tourney Stroke Play Full 18 All Players 68
    01.19.14 Easy Rider Front 9 All Players 32
    01.19.14 Royal St George's Back 9 Tour Master 35

For average calculation, follow a few rules:

1) Think gross score, not +-Par. A 70 is 70, not 2 under at STA.

2) Double 9 hole scores to get an 18 hole average: 2 x 36 = 72

3) Calculate the average of a fixed number of lowest scores in one tier. For TM, take up to 50 scores.

With this, you can do the calc yourself.

Until now, the average calculation has been a very reliable part of the game. Trust it, don't think too much of it, have fun!

RSS