Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping on the green. Advice?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:26 AM (9 replies)
  • dosed
    71 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 9:09 PM

To clarify. I am not talking about chipping onto the green. I am referring to when on the green you chip instead of putt. What is the math? Share the knowledge please.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 9:35 PM

I don't chip, use full shots, when depends on a few factors, like some of those impossible breaks. Sometimes with full bs, others flat, for short putts, about 3 times distance in feet. For long putts, twice the distance plus a few feet  more, usually about 8 to 10. There is one replay in my profile. I use it less now, though, only with putts over 75 feet in most cases when there is a big break or when I can't  read the break properly for some reason. Depends on your wedges too.

• Teedaawg
    276 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 9:44 PM

I dont believe you're talking about chipping though...I use a full shot on the green and it works quite well when you have an area that you cant putt over or thats too far for a putt. The formula I use is 2X the feet + 10'...so if you have 23' X 2 = 46 + 10 = 56'...hope this helps, but like everything else it changes from longer footage and requires some practice especially with the wind...good luck!

Tee

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Jan 26 2012 10:34 PM

dosed:

To clarify. I am not talking about chipping onto the green. I am referring to when on the green you chip instead of putt. What is the math? Share the knowledge please.

Putt...answer to all your math.

• dosed
    71 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 6:47 AM

Thanks guys but I am talking about chipping. When you have lets say a 20 foot putt with a big break or some sort of trouble, some players choose to chip. I've seen many people complaining about others chipping on the green and how it's not fair (*eye roll*). I've been trying it a bit a so far as I can tell it's usually about 2 clubs higher but it doesn't always work. 

• nine76chris
    92 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:18 AM

MBaggese:

Putt...answer to all your math.

I agree.

• peoch
    1,127 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:30 AM

use the wedge togethere whit punch shot, u will see its works just fine

10 y hit it like 23-25 y, thats what u caled a chipp shot ?  but be care off the d/h and up/h

there it is diferent

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 8:51 AM

you CAN'T chip on the green you have to use Full or Punch shot!

For me it works out like this CG16 60yrd wedge full shot full back spin goes ±28 yards 

most people will say just about half distance of full shot. Practice it and get your own distances with your wedges.

Also it's not really a shot you should use often only when faced with obstacles in your path to the hole.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:47 AM

DannyPhan:
    Also it's not really a shot you should use often only when faced with obstacles in your path to the hole.

Bears repeating.............

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:26 AM

YankeeJim:

DannyPhan:

Bears repeating.............

Poor Bears...

RSS