Forums

Help › Forums

New and Struggling!

Mon, Feb 6 2012 9:29 PM (3 replies)
  • Boquerone
    2,574 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2012 2:36 AM

Hi fellow "golfers",

I,m not exactly new as I have been playing for two months and while enjoying the games I am finding it very frustrating at times.

I just don,t seem to be able to get the hang of judging distances and angles.

I have been playing CTTH and Stroke up to now and in attempts to improve my game and scores I write down how I play each hole then try to improve on it next time. However invariably I,ll play virtually the same shot and it will be totally different!!! Is this normal?

"Releasing" the shot exactly when it reaches the thick white vertical line I find impossible to manage consistently.

In stroke play I do ok with the drive and long shots but my putting is lamentable!!! I have watched the videos but just don,t seem to get the angles and green speeds right for putting.Is this just down to practice,practice,practice?

When I look at the scores on the leaderboards it,s depressing and I wonder how these guys can get scores as low as they do.They put to shame my scores in the hundreds!!!

Is it all down to practice?

While not wanting you to give away your secrets ANY advice/help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks and I look forward to playing with and aginst some of you when I gain a bit of confidence!

• KeithRobinson75
    5 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2012 12:18 PM

It's down to Practice yo an extent... But understanding that it is a game of math will help you shave some strokes.

First of all You have to always keep in mind all the variables... The lie of the ball, wind, distance, elevation, green speed and ball spin. Always keep these things in mind and it won't take you long to learn where to aim the crosshairs... ie how far past or in front, right or left of the hole...

Putting is where most ppl add strokes to their game... Here is what I do to eliminate 3 putts, and give myself a chance at those longer birdie putts. When I am up to putt, I literally get out the calculator for a quick equation that gives me perfect distance every time. It takes 2 seconds... 

Lets say I'm on the green and my full putting meter is set at 50 feet. And, my distance to the hole is 37 feet. I quickly divide 37 by 50, and then multiply that by 100. The result is 74. That is the % of the meter I need to use to get to the hole. 74%  Now, I would need to slightly adjust that considering whether the putt is uphill or downhill, and green speed. But this will get you the perfect distance every time...

Obviously right to left break in the green will still have to be guessed...

Distance to hole divided by full putt meter x 100 = % of meter to use...( hint, the putter pal is a VERY valuable tool to have... as it has the percentages right there in your putting meter. )

Take a couple seconds to do this equation before each putt and I promise you you will get that rating down in the low 70s in no time. I've only been playing for a week and I advanced to pro with a rating of 72.6

• Tonto0206
    460 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2012 6:06 PM

KeithRobinson75:
    divide 37 by 50, and then multiply that by 100. The result is 74.

Multiplying by 2 might be easier and quicker    lol

• KeithRobinson75
    5 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2012 9:29 PM

Well Tonto0206, the reason is because that doesn't work.  ;0)   Well, it does if the putter meter total is 50 feet... but at any other meter strength it doesn't work so....

RSS