Forums

Help › Forums

tier status

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 11 2012 12:39 PM (6 replies)
  • ricky8599
    12 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2012 8:53 AM

can someone please explain the levelling up process in plain english. ive just played alternate shot with some guys.

L 56  amatuer.. 61.7

L29  hack.....69.7.

how the hell do these guys stay at these levels with average scores like they have?

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2012 11:29 AM

Your average is based on ranked stroke play games. Some players avoid those to keep their status low. This is called Sandbagging.

• ricky8599
    12 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2012 11:37 AM

and nobody does anything about it?

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2012 12:35 PM

piztaker:

Your average is based on ranked stroke play games. Some players avoid those to keep their status low. This is called Sandbagging.

What Piz is saying is that the only way to Tier up is to lower your Average, the only way to lower your Average is to play RANKED games. After a certain number of RANKED games if your Average is low enough you will progress to the next Tier.

And he is spot on about SANDBAGGING.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2012 3:12 PM

Also, besides a qualifying average score in ranked stroke play rounds, those players have not played the minimum amount of ranked games need to advance. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you know your opponent when playing for credits.  I am not pointing finger at anyone, but there are Hidden Legends here so be careful.      

Joey

• dickdarstardly
    32 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2012 11:47 PM

I don't believe there is a rule saying you have to play a certain amount of ranked rounds or you have to tier up. Not saying its right but there it is.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 12:39 PM

dickdarstardly:
    I don't believe there is a rule saying you have to play a certain amount of ranked rounds or you have to tier up.

But the spirit of this game, like real golf, is to make it clear what a player's abilities are so all players know what they are up against.  We are not talking about players that play to their abilities or those that do not have the desire to put in the stick time.  Those guys are where they naturally belong and the reason we have tiers in the first place. What we are talking about are players that violate the basic concept of golf by intentionally portraying themselves as something they are not.  And since it is almost impossible to police this, that's why new players need to know about sandbagging before they play anyone for credits.  After you've been here a while, you are on your own (wink).

Joey  

RSS