Forums

Help › Forums

Tourney Greens vs. Tourney Greens

Mon, Jul 2 2012 10:28 AM (25 replies)
  • jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 8:56 AM

cycle1979:
    Are you all sure there is 2 kind of Tourney green speeds??  I've never noticed it but maybe I don't pay nearly as much attention to detail as some of you!  Or is this another overanalysis/conspiracy theory?

Wow!  I might have to pull a Mitt Romney and offer up a $10,000 bet.  YES, there are 2 different tourney speeds and you don't really notice difference until you have putts over 10 feet when the disparity of the two speeds starts to grow. 

When playing a MP or stroke play, we Legends always have the faster tournament speed.  The problem comes in tournaments because WGT uses both tournament speeds without any way to know which tourney greens you are on.

For me, the idiocy of two different speeds named the same thing, tops the list of misguided WGT decisions. A close second is Legends that tier up quickly not having access to all equipment.  Bad enough that lower tier players get to use the best equipment, but punishing someone for getting good rapidly seems wrong.

I get the fact that WGT rarely weighs in on meter performance because they have no idea how to remedy the problem, but their silence on this issue is very frustrating because it could be fixed so easily.

• oksymoron
    110 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 9:15 AM

^

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 10:19 PM

I didn't comment on these, Jim. Ty for correcting this part of TTE's statement.

Now we have:

Hack, Amateur: Standard (stimp 7.9)

Pro: Fast (9)

Tour Pro, Master: Very Fast (10)

Tour Master: Tournament 1 (11)

Legend: Tournament 2 (12)

Championship (13?)

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Mar 27 2012 1:20 AM

As far as I understand it in my very inexperienced head, but influenced by our Clubs better members.....& as a Master playing generally with other Masters and t.Pros

we dived the length of putt according to indicated green speed

EG

Standard is standard

Fast we divide the length by 1.1 (and +/- elevation)

V. Fast we divide by 1.2

Tournament we divide by 1.3

BUT

If we have a LEGEND in our game we divide by 1.35

• cycle1979
    1,555 Posts
    Tue, Mar 27 2012 7:21 AM

jakestanfill7:

Wow!  I might have to pull a Mitt Romney and offer up a $10,000 bet.  YES, there are 2 different tourney speeds and you don't really notice difference until you have putts over 10 feet when the disparity of the two speeds starts to grow. 

I believe you guys and maybe if I payed more attention I'd lose the 1-2 strokes I'd need to be able to actually make RG's profitable.  Grip and rip is more fun though....

No bet Jake..

• mattrock63
    18 Posts
    Mon, Jul 2 2012 10:28 AM

I wish I were experiencing your consistency in green speeds. Just today I was playing the Oakmont at tournament speed ( tour master) and it seemed more like 'fast' to "very fast". Perhaps this is just whining in the face of the way it is, but it does get difficult to retrain my shot strength every time I play, regardless of what the screen tells me.  I liked what a previous post had to say on the subject - something akin to a Stimp-meter. Of course, a consistent speed would be the ideal. Either way though, I still have to adjust, just as I would on a real course.

RSS