Forums

Help › Forums

Putting practice

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:52 AM (4 replies)
  • EARTHWALKER
    56 Posts
    Sun, Feb 19 2012 6:11 AM

Been playing for a week or so now and must say, I do really enjoy this.  My game is vastly let down by my putting.  Reading the various tutorials is making my head bleed trying to understand all the tech, so a bit hopeless :)

Is there a way I can just practice my putting? As I really do want to start putting less than 7 shots on a hole as seeing 'Quadruple bogey' all the time is getting rather tiresome.

• Dan55ATY
    37 Posts
    Sun, Feb 19 2012 6:39 PM

Hi Earth Walker,

to lower your number of put, go into the search box in the forum search for 'home made putter pal' , you will find different way to make one , it is useless to buy the WGT (World Golf Tour) putter pal

Since the trick is to shoot your first put as close as possible to hole, you will have to get your calculator and use some formula.

I presume that other good player do the same thing, because with a put of 50 or 30 or 18 feet we usually come 8 to 20 inches close to hole almost every time.

for very fast speed green:

((distance to hole in feet) + (up in inch)) x 0,9

((distance to hole in feet) - (down in inch)) x 0,9

so if distance is 15 feet , 3 inchs up : (25 + 3) x 0,9 = 25,2 feet to shoot

but if distance is 25 feet instead of using a factor of 0,9  use a factor of 0,86 for very fast green

For standard speed green the multiplying factor is 1,1

For a fast green speed it will be:

((distance to hole in feet) + (up in inch))  x 1,0

or  ((distance to hole in feet) - (down in inch)) x 1,0

so if distance is 15 feet , 3 inchs down : (15 - 3) x 1,0 = 12 feet to shoot

but if distance is 25 feet, instead of a factor of 1,0  you will use a factor of 0,95 for fast green

For a distance of 40 to 60 feet on fast green, or very fast green, you will lower your factor.

Now , my way to calculate all those number: I have a second monitor on my computer with a big spreadsheet and all formula ready to receive distance and 'up or down'

Then, practice time, on the main window of WGT, go to WGT community, select golf courses, select Congressionnal, select 'play hole 2' , it is an easy one with no water around, hit for certer of green. When ball will fall in hole, press Continu, then press, play again. This could be your today practice green.

Ok, there is also a slope, crap ( the moving dots when you are on a green). On the same window as the spread sheet (on my second computer screen) where I have all formula, I also developed a table (not a formula) with all distance in increment of 2 feets, and 3 column : slow slope, fast slope , very fast slope ...

... for exemple at 28 feets with fast slope I will move my aim 2,5 feet in the direction where comes the dots. One square is 2 feets. I probably used 4 weeks to find the numbers for those 3 colums. Those 4 weeks were not an issue because internet golf is not a sprint, it is a long run. An all winter hobbie.

Finally, you presently are at level 26, in 2 more level, you will be allow to buy the putter ''iwi Anser'' at 400 credits which give a precision of 3. Do not buy the Spider (level 19) at 400 credits, that Spider as only a precision of 2. Another good thing about the ''iwi Anser'' , it as a putter scale beginning at 15 feet instead of 25 feet for the Spider.

Hope this will help ,   Daniel.

• EARTHWALKER
    56 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2012 5:35 AM

That helps a great deal.  Thank you for the advice Daniel.  Very much appreciated.

Lets hope I can understand it in time :D

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2012 5:01 AM

Very educated approach Dan!

The easier way are putting tables which have been published here in the Forums.

Since putting distances are linear, a table is quite easy to manufacture:

For the 30' scale, the effective lenghts are

27' slow green

30' normal green

33' fast green

36' very fast green

39' tourney green

42' ultra fast championship(?) green

Any fraction of stroking brings a fraction of the length, up- and downslope require adjustment (e.g. approx. 1 ft per inch on very fast greens).

The other scales work with the same factors for the respective green speeds.

For the percentages, look at the putter movements, or paint a scale onto your screen ;)

• lovatojd
    8 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:52 AM

THANKS FOR THE Tip! 

RSS