Forums

Help › Forums

Hole those putts with this method

Sun, Feb 26 2012 6:13 PM (7 replies)
  • oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 8:02 AM

Just finished a nice clean 30 on RSG front with 5 x 1 putts and 4 x 2 putts. 2 lip outs and one shaved the hole by less than a pixel.

But that is not the story here...what is , is that I didn't check the green speed until hole #7, where I discovered it was 'very fast'  not 'fast'  as I had been thinking. Now normally I deduct 10% for fast , and round it down for subtraction purposes, i.e. If a 24 putt with 3 inches of up elevation means a 27 foot putt. I will only subtract 2, meaning I will always hit it hard enough to get there. Being short is a cardinal sin.

But more than that , very fast is normally a 15% subtraction so I was hitting all my putts 5% harder than I normally would , yet I holed some beauts. Nothing monstrous but all betweeen  6 - 25 feet.

My meter was smoother than a whores' freshly shaven ***, so life was good out there.

The moral of this short tale is "hit it harder - and hole more putts"

Since when is p u s s y a filtered word  lol

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 8:19 AM

Maybe you could snuck by with cooter or tallywhacker.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 8:55 AM

Looks like you got it in the hole real good with your putter, into that shaved hole. Thanks for the update!

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 12:56 PM

EXCELLENT point  john,dont know how many times ive come up just a hair short on a putt because after i figure elevation , I hit the putt at "that" distance rather than adding 1-2 yds.  to that distance. only exception is on very steep down hill putts. I am absolutely convinced if I could remember to do this on EVERY  putt I hit in a 9 hole round,it would take 1-3 shots  off my score. Lastly I am no expert here, but if I could give only 1 tip to improve someones score here,this would be it.   ty.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 9:50 PM

Always putt to the back of the hole, not the middle.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 12:21 AM

If its not UP, its not IN

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 11:58 AM

My putting improved greatly when I read this on the forumand it is what the OP has said play it firmer.

" Normal 0 coupled with the formula that I saw earlier for putt distance. ((Distance to hole + 2ft) - %) +/- (inches up or down x 1ft.)"

My apologies to the original poster I just copied that to my norepad, but thanks whoever you are.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2012 6:13 PM

Well I am no great shakes as a putter, but basically I think Genorb said it, apologies if I'm wrong there, but he said to pay great attention to the green arrow on the aim flag, if its down then subtract a fraction off your distance, if its up then add a fraction - even if it says 0^

Pretty much the same sentiment.

RSS