Forums

Help › Forums

Why am I considered a "pro" at level 27?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 4 2012 3:21 PM (5 replies)
  • Bamafan21
    13 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 12:46 AM

when I see some with way higher levels as amateurs..........

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 1:04 AM

Your level has nothing to do with your tier (pro). You move up in level through experience points, which you get from just playing (in any mode). This is only for unlocking equipment in the pro shop. You move up through the tiers by lowering your stroke play scoring average. 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 1:09 AM

It is because these are two different "ranking" systems.

Levels (1, 2, ... 109 ...) are bound to the no. of experience points (XPs) you earn by diligence - playing strokes, finishing rounds of any kind, playing on consecutive days (bonus up to 880 XPs per day), level up with money...

Tiers (Hack, Amateur, ... Legend) are bound to your average in ranked strokeplay rounds and to a minimum of ranked strokeplay rounds per tier. This is meant to be a skill based ranking.

Now, s.o. with low tier and high level either

- lacks skills despite many rounds he played (high average) or

- deliberately omits to play enough ranked strokeplay rounds to be tiered up (typically low average).

The latter, also called sandbaggers, benefit from the good clubs they get with their high level while also benefitting from the forward tees they are allowed to play with their low tier. By this, they may be more successful, possibly win more matches and challenges.

• robdelahunty
    670 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 1:23 AM

alosso:
    The latter, also called sandbaggers

Sandbagging: 

To downplay or misrepresent one's ability in a game or activity in order to deceive (someone), especially in gambling

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 7:26 AM

robdelahunty:

Sandbagging: 

To [...] misrepresent one's ability in a game [...]

Bingo!

• Bamafan21
    13 Posts
    Sun, Mar 4 2012 3:21 PM

thanks for the replies, and for the record i wasn't wondering so I could  '"sandbag", just wondering how it works.....lol.......thanks again

RSS