Forums

Help › Forums

Improving on Par 3 holes.

Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:48 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Boquerone
    2,574 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 7:20 AM

This is going to sound silly but it,s driving (excuse the pun!) nuts.

Apart from my last round a few minutes ago( which was a horror show round St.Andrews in the  Winter Tournament) I can hold my own with just above par.

My stroke play avg. is 83.00.... Driving Avge 222yds.....Driving Accuracy 77.90

Putting Avge per hole 2.15.......Putting avge per round 22.53

PAR 3 AVGE. 4.45.     I just don,t know where I,m going wrong on what should be the easiest holes.The drive is usually ok but the approach and putting seem to be all over the place. For some reason I seem to hit more bunkers during 3 par holes than at any other time.

I know this is difficult to advise on but ANY advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 2:55 PM

I see that you, fairly recently, tiered up. Congratulations. If I remember correctly, this move sent you to longer tees. Firing longer distances puts more pressure on your clubs, not just distance, but forgiveness and precision. You will probably get all kinds of club advice, but I think you can get to the next two tiers with what you have, with one small exception. For what it's worth, the Nike Method putter is the easiest to ding IMO, along with good forgiveness and precision. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend it.

Next priority would probably be better wedges. Tough selection as, maddeningly, all the decent ones have fast meters. Look for high forgiveness.

If money is no object, A longer driver would help. It might even put you close enough to the green that you'd, in effect, be playing from where you're already comfortable. I remember when I made Pro, I wanted more length, but a slow meter. I'll let you in on a little secret. If you can hang on a while 'til Lvl 58, the G20 driver's meter isn't as fast as advertised. 

Nailing your approaches will also lower your scores quickly. Wind seems to be what bedevils most everyone. Here's how I handle it. Played Kiawah front today in moderate wind. Had 5 birdies from 5 feet and closer. 

Handling Wind

It's the fifth post in that thread, as I recall. 

Experiment: Many Par 3s just don't behave. Kiawah #8 is particularly frustrating for me. Seems I either end up short or off the back. Take notes.

Good luck. 

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 3:15 PM

Your improvement will be slower than hell until you get better equipment. You can use the best ball there is and it won't stop on the green most of the time if you don't have good clubs. That's because of the starter clubs. I could not stand the starter clubs. Upgrade ot better clubs somehow and you will dramatically improve you skill/ ave. and everything else.

imo.

good luck!

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 3:48 PM

Boquerone:
    I just don,t know where I,m going wrong on what should be the easiest holes

Not to get lost in the details, but par 3s are typically the hardest, not the easiest, for several reasons.

1. It is much harder to get an eagle on a par 3 than a par 4 or 5. Basically, there's a bigger limitation to how low your score can be in relation to par.

2. Approaches (in regulation) on par 4s and 5s are usually in the mid-iron to wedge range. On par 3s, your tee shot is generally a mid to long iron, and sometimes, a 3w or driver. The longer the club, the harder it is to hit with accuracy.

For these two reasons, average scores (in relation to par) are almost always higher on par 3s than on any other hole. This is true for all golfers, both in real life and on wgt.

Don't psyche yourself out on the par 3s. At your level, you're still looking for the one great shot to hit on each hole. Eventually, your outlook will evolve into trying to avoid the one bad shot.

Give it time and your scores will improve. The best thing you can do, whether it's a par 3, 4, or 5 is learn to manage the course. Learning where to miss will help a bunch.

On my profile are course walk throughs for Bethpage, Kiawah, Congressional, and (half of) Royal St. George's. Pick one and read it as you play. You'll find your scores going down as you make fewer unforced errors.

As for the par 3s, your scoring average will always be higher than on 4s and 5s in relation to par. That's just life.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 9:48 PM

Boquerone:
    For some reason I seem to hit more bunkers during 3 par holes than at any other time.

Don't hit into them! I mean, of course you're not doing it on purpose, but avoid them at all costs if they're giving  you trouble. For that matter, avoid all the trouble spots on par 3s -- learn where to miss and where not to miss. I'd bet a dozen Callaways that you are going for lots of pins that you shouldn't be going for, especially with your current equipment, trying for a birdie and ending up with bogey or worse.

Since you are generally hitting mid- to long-irons on par 3s, and using starter clubs, your best bet may often be a safe shot to the middle of the green. Play for par when necessary. You may leave yourself with a difficult 35-foot putt for birdie, but you're taking double bogey out of the equation. 

• Boquerone
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:02 AM

Thanks a lot for the help and advice.

I note what you say about clubs and will have a look at the Nike legend putter.  I,m a pensioner so buying a lot of clubs is,nt possible at the moment but I will have 400 credits later today and I,m looking to buy a Driver and a Putter although you reckon a wedge might assist me more? I,ll give it alot of thought before making my purchase but thanks to you and the other members who have responded I can look forward to improving my game.

Thanks again.

• Boquerone
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:09 AM

Many Thanks for responding to my plea.

I hope to purchase two clubs later today,Driver and Putter but I,m somewhat restricted in buying clubs as I am a pensioner.

However your advice is extremely helpful and I have given your advice much thought and have to agree it makes sense to go for safe shots rather than "The Big One".

It,s gratifying to hear from you and two other Community members that Par 3,s are actually more difficult than 4 or 5s and it,s not just myself who has difficulty with them.

I am amazed at how helpful everyone is in helping newcomers to the game.

It,s really good to know there is somewhere you can come if you have a problem.

Thank You again.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2012 11:58 AM

BubbaCrusher007:

Your improvement will be slower than hell until you get better equipment. You can use the best ball there is and it won't stop on the green most of the time if you don't have good clubs. That's because of the starter clubs. I could not stand the starter clubs. Upgrade ot better clubs somehow and you will dramatically improve you skill/ ave. and everything else.

imo.

good luck!

I'd not limit the progress to custom clubs. If someone doesn't hit the ding he'll fail with the best WDs and irons, and if he doesn't understand the greens he will threeputt far too often.

Acc. to my experience it is well possible to become TP with starter equipment and play nicely there too. It will be difficult to compete, but why not play along?

(Disclaimer: Meanwhile I've bought two minor clubs and I use WGT SD balls)

The downside are the missing length, low trajectories and missing spin. There are some unreachable greens and many unachievable pin positions, especially at OAK, CCC and BPB. Therefore, scrambling and good putting will be neccessary, and possible even with the starter putter. (Today I played my 11th eagle with it)

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Mar 8 2012 9:10 PM

If I were rich, I'd gift you the Method putter. I, too, am retired and on a pension. I see, from your activity, that you are searching/renting equipment. 

Try completing some surveys. Watch videos, whatever it takes to afford the best that is available to you. You can sell back items for 25% of their value, but I can't but think of the credits I've wasted in my quest here. 

Silly us, I suppose. 

• Boquerone
    2,574 Posts
    Fri, Mar 9 2012 7:41 AM

Thanks for that advice and I,ll try and follow it up.

However I have,nt seen anything about completing surveys  and the only videos I,ve seen are the Tutorial ones.

I decided to rent first before buying to try one or two clubs out.I know it costs more but I think it will be worth it. So far it,s been a bit hit and miss (excuse the pun!!!) but I did see a difference with a new Driver.

It,s always good to see that someone is in the same boat as me and can,t lash out buying a full set of clubs right off.

Thanks again and Good luck.

• PAGES
RSS