Forums

Help › Forums

What happened?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 10 2012 6:37 PM (9 replies)
  • chibbey
    4 Posts
    Thu, Mar 8 2012 7:49 PM

I went from Master to Tour Master a week or so back and my score is tanking.  Shots seem way more inconsistent.  I'm using the same balls, same equipment and all my stats are suffering.  Ball isn't flying consistently, breaks on greens seem more difficult to read and inconsistent.  What gives?  It really isn't enjoyable to play anymore.

• Michelled79
    164 Posts
    Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:01 AM

The only change in changing is the green speed which goes to Tournament speed. Everything else is the same, ive recently changed to TM myself and havent seen any difference. Maybe its just a funk your going through, we all do sometimes. Keep at it im sure you will get through it. Also it knocks your confidence when your avg shoots up again.  But then hey maybe im wrong?

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:28 AM

This is normal when entering a new tier...you are playing on bigger swings now. Another thing to remember is your scoring average will reset.  More info on that over there in the FAQ Home----->

Joey

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:19 PM

chibbey:

I went from Master to Tour Master a week or so back and my score is tanking.  Shots seem way more inconsistent.  I'm using the same balls, same equipment and all my stats are suffering.  Ball isn't flying consistently, breaks on greens seem more difficult to read and inconsistent.  What gives?  It really isn't enjoyable to play anymore.

hi

it'll take a bit to adjust but once you do, it will play very nicely. I feel the same way when I am thrown on championship greens.

-wgticon

• senec
    252 Posts
    Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:59 PM

Congrats Chibbey.I am master with 64.15 average.Just wondering.What was your average when you turned tour master?

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Fri, Mar 9 2012 1:01 PM

WGTicon:
    Ball isn't flying consistently, breaks on greens seem more difficult to read and inconsistent.  What gives?  It really isn't enjoyable to play anymore

Welcome to the club! I like what Ben Hogan said when ask what he disliked most about golf(a long list) "I wish I could eliminate the whole putting aspect of the game."

I agree.

• Woody2112
    574 Posts
    Fri, Mar 9 2012 3:09 PM

Same thing happened to me.... no worries, it really was just a bit of a funk as 1 person said. once you get on to green speeds you will be fine. Quick tip take off 1 ft for every 5ft away and then add or subtract your up and down. this will give you a general idea of green speeds and then its a matter of reading your breaks , but 1 thing at a time. Get your distance control first, it will all fall into place after that. Happy Hitting.

• chibbey
    4 Posts
    Fri, Mar 9 2012 9:37 PM

It isn't just the putting.  Everything is less consistent, approach shot distance, wind effect, etc.  My avg approach put me within 15ft, now I am well outside that.  My avg greens in regulation was 80%.  Now I'm lucky if it is 60.  Also, and this may be the issue, it seems like the swing bar speed is inconsistent, so it is more difficult to "ding".   In the past, even if I was just a tad either side of the "ding" the variation would be minor.  Now the shot result is as if I missed it by half an inch.  I don't want to whine about it, but I would swear that something outside my control has changed.

• chibbey
    4 Posts
    Sat, Mar 10 2012 6:37 PM

Naw, I'm done here.  Played four rounds tonight and was four over on St Andrews, a course where I am normally 6-8 under.  That was my BEST result.  I wouldn't mind if it was just a matter of adjusting to a faster green speed, as long as the speed and break was consistent from green to green on each course, but that does not seem to be the case.  The swing bar has gotten more jumpy lately and my approach shots and drives are suffering.  Spend too much on balls, equipment etc, to not enjoy the game anymore. 

• gatordee
    281 Posts
    Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:35 PM

The greens should be what is different. But just so you know, since you are now putting slower, the slopes will affect your roll more.

RSS