Forums

Help › Forums

Putters

Fri, Apr 6 2012 4:26 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • althemaninont
    20 Posts
    Sat, Mar 24 2012 4:36 PM

WOW..Putters are expensive..Do you think they help your game and what do u recommend?  Thanks

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Mar 24 2012 5:00 PM

althemaninont:

WOW..Putters are expensive..Do you think they help your game and what do u recommend?  Thanks

It depends on a variety of factors. 

If you're good at hitting the ding and want increased precision, I recommend the 2010 Redwood ZB Putter (L72+) for 1,385 credits. Stats: 

• PRECISION: 4.5/5
    • FORGIVENESS: 2/5
    • BALANCE: 3.5/5
    • METER SPEED: 2/5

If you're not as good at hitting the ding, and would like a putter that is forgiving and has a slow meter speed, you're probably going to want to check out the NIKE Method 001 Putter (L77+) for 2,000 credits. Stats: 

• PRECISION: 4/5 
    • FORGIVENESS: 4/5 
    • BALANCE: 3.5/5 
    • METER SPEED: ~.5/5

If you're looking to get a quality putter without completely breaking the bank, I recommend the TaylorMade Ghost Spider Putter (L35+) for 800 credits. Stats: 

• PRECISION: 3.5/5
    • FORGIVENESS: 3/5 
    • BALANCE: 3/5 
    • METER SPEED: ~.5/5

But as I said, it's completely dependent on your game, and not just the level or cost of the putter. Additionally, there are many other choices other than what I've given you, but hopefully this will be a good place for you to start. :)

Cheers. 

• StrokerLee
    94 Posts
    Sat, Mar 24 2012 5:26 PM

althemaninont:

For only 600 credits...you can get one of the best kept secrets of good putting (oops I let the cat out of the bag)...but understand you still have to hit the ball...but you will be singing sounds of joy if you buy the level 44 'Ping Redwood' Putter...it is not the top of the line putter on here...but it does perform like one...you will only lose one dot in every catergory versus the level 77 'Ping Redwood' putter...but remember it's only 600 credits!! I am on level 85 I have bought and tried a many of putters...in fact I also have a Nike putter in my inventory as well...but I am (and that's for me) very comfortable with the level 44 'Ping Redwood' and that is why I still use it!!! also the increment meter for distance is more universal than a lot of other putters>>feet increments are as followed >>15...30...45...90...150...300 feet respectively..and to me that is a big plus and aid when putting from almost any distance...but remember...no matter what putter you use...you still have to read greens, speeds and breaks...and when that is all said and done...you still have to swing the club and hit your ball !!! but all in all you won't be DISSATISFIED with the 'Ping Redwood' level 44 putter...but even if you are... 600 credits to find out that you may just keep this putter for all of your time here at WGT is not a bad price to pay!!!

• StrokerLee
    94 Posts
    Sat, Mar 24 2012 5:35 PM

StrokerLee:

althemaninont:

For only 600 credits...you can get one of the best kept secrets of good putting (oops I let the cat out of the bag)...but understand you still have to hit the ball...but you will be singing sounds of joy if you buy the level 44 'Ping Redwood' Putter...it is not the top of the line putter on here...but it does perform like one...you will only lose one dot in every catergory versus the level 77 'Ping Redwood' putter...but remember it's only 600 credits!! I am on level 85 I have bought and tried a many of putters...in fact I also have a Nike putter in my inventory as well...but I am (and that's for me) very comfortable with the level 44 'Ping Redwood' and that is why I still use it!!! also the increment meter for distance is more universal than a lot of other putters>>feet increments are as followed >>15...30...45...90...150...300 feet respectively..and to me that is a big plus and aid when putting from almost any distance...but remember...no matter what putter you use...you still have to read greens, speeds and breaks...and when that is all said and done...you still have to swing the club and hit your ball !!! but all in all you won't be DISSATISFIED with the 'Ping Redwood' level 44 putter...but even if you are... 600 credits to find out that you may just keep this putter for all of your time here at WGT is not a bad price to pay!!!

OOPS !!! my bad I was referring to the level 72 'Ping Redwood' putter...and not a Level 77 'Ping Redwood' Putter...it's the Nike putter that is available at Level 77 !!! sorry !!! also back to the level 44 'Ping Redwood' Putter...I noticed that you are using a 'Blade' style putter right now ...being that you are using a 'Starter Putter' well the 'Ping Redwood' Putter is also a 'Blade' style...so you would be using and viewing a style of putter that you are already somewhat familiar with!!!

• trengoff
    128 Posts
    Sat, Mar 24 2012 6:27 PM

althemaninont:

I think i read somewhere putting is 43% of the game ... i disagree, i think its more like 75% of the game ... (One tip i will give you, do not believe any spec that u read !!!)

P.S. i'm a BIG "Rossa" fan, but in my humble opinion the starter is a very good putter in itself ... yes i kid you not!! ... Put it this way, if most people were blindfolded (so to speak) that starter putter would have a much more higher spec than what is shown ... i have even come across legends that use em   ;  )     

• althemaninont
    20 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:17 PM

Thanks for the insights Guys..

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:57 PM

Gotta agree with StrokerLee,. I'm at level 84 master, have rented a few of the more pricey putters, almost upgraded to the 72, but, being cheap I'm still shootin' the 44 with decent results. Except when WGT is messin' with me on certain days. Then I couldn't hit the hole if I tried to drop it in by hand from 3" above. My recommendation, spend the six bucks, I honestly believe you won't be dissappointed.

Doc

• marks84
    184 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 2:07 PM

althemaninont:

Looking at some of the other replies you have gotten... can't really disagree with any of them... but here is my 2 cents worth  I use the level 19 Spider putter (400 credits) (was the first club I bought actually), and I love it.  I have tried almost every other putter available but I always go back to old faithful.  I thin k the biggest thing is to find a putter that you are comfortable with, and then learn what it will do backwards and forwards (which is where I am with my Spider).  GL to you.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 8:15 PM

725 credits and you have an excellent putter called... Rossa. Careful, you may find it difficult to adapt to other scales if you want to upgrade in the future once you have used a scale for a certain time. I bought the top putter but went back to the Rossa. Tried others, but still my favorite.... And you are buying a putter but it is you who has to make the putts. Putters cannot make miracles. 

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 11:04 AM

I'm in the midst of this debate as well - Can I really blame the equipment?  In some ways, I do, as I have a good feel for speed and break at this point, but miss the ding more than I'd like to.  I've got the Spider (19+) at the moment.  I rented the Ghost Spider, but one day with it isn't enough to tell if it made a difference.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Ghost (66+), since I'm close to that level.  Yes, the meter goes up, but it will be closer overall to the rest of my clubs, which perhaps will help as well.

But, the Nike gets some consideration - a little better in every department, slower meter - but the increments seem a bit wonky.

Any more input on the Method? 

• PAGES
RSS