Forums

Help › Forums

newbie questions,

Mon, Apr 2 2012 4:14 PM (6 replies)
  • Garinth
    14 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2012 6:21 PM

What is the best way to pratice and still keep my lvl down? Do male avatars have an advantage over female? My next purchase will be irons, I am currently useing the starter set, I am looking at a 700cr, 900cr and 1250cr set. My question is...is the 700cr set worth the money or should I hold out for the 900 or 1250 set. I do not pay for cr's, I am earning them by watching videos and filling out surveys.

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2012 10:25 PM

i am to drunk to answer all your questions but i know  some one  will guide you .....i answered to make sure  we ( the community )  know you are being read ,,,,,, :)

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2012 10:42 PM

If you really want to stay at a low level you need to avoid playing every day, the 880 bonus you get once you get to 8 consecutive days will get you up the levels quickly when you're fairly new.  CTTH gives little exp so will slow you down but also won't help you learn course management.  Why do you want to stay a low level?  You won't get access to the better clubs if you do.  I can see why someone would want to stay in a low tier but I'm not sure there's any benefit from being in a lower level than someone else.

With avatars it's the other way round.  Female avatars have, or used to anyway, more movements in the swing so players who judge power from avatar movements could do so more precisely with a female avatar.  I say used to because all avatars had the number of movements reduced a while ago to reduce load times so it may be that they're the same now.

As for irons, generally the higher the level required to get them and the more they cost is a good indicator of how good they are.   The downside to your first set of decent clubs is the meter speed, this will be quite a bit faster than you're used to.  I assume the 1250 set is the Burner 2?  They have a slower meter but it will still be faster than you're used to.   If you can wait a little longer and have the credits the R11 at level 32 will keep you happy for a long time once you get used to the meter.   It's very easy to buy several sets of irons as you progress which is a waste of credits really, at least the R11 could stay in your bag a while.

You'lll also need a driver and wedges at some point.  It's never ending really, always something else on the wish list.

Have fun.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2012 11:44 PM

It's difficult to play and keep the level low. One way might be to practice @ another golf game - I won't name any though :)

Alas, why would you wanna do this? If you advance through the tiers according to your skills it will be o.k., if not...

• Garinth
    14 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:29 AM

Thank you all for your responces. I wish to keep my lvl low because I am currently shooting in the upper 70's (on a good day), this is due to not knowing the courses, miss judgeing the green speeds, and chips from 50 to 75 because I need to learn to set the power meter. Also, chipping in from 5 to 10 feet from the green is giveing me fits(probally due to incorrect stance but I am not sure yet). I know that I can lower my score to the upper 60's with better equipment however, I am lvling faster than I can purchase the equipment I need. With propper equipment and pratice in my weak spots I should be able to place in the top 100 in tournys instead of the top 1000.I do not want to sand bag, but I do want to play at the lvl I should be playing at, before lvling. I have seen people in the forums warning of the dangers of lvling to fast and I am lvling to fast.

P.S. MainzMan, Thank you for the advice on clubs, that was exactly what I was looking for.

• TrufflIE
    524 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2012 3:29 PM

Perhaps you are confusing tiers with levels...

looks like you are a level 24 amateur.

your level will go up as you play and earn experience, but your tier will only go up with stroke play rounds (including tournaments)

I have never seen a warning against leveling up too fast, but I wouldn't try to get to a higher tier before you are ready.

It's all a bit confusing in the beginning, but not too hard to figure out.

Hope that helps

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2012 4:14 PM

Full ACK Truff!

About the approaches:

There is an excellent tutorial in the 1st section of these forums - look out!

A short introduction:

Most chips, when indicated by the program, are wrong!

Only if the fringe or green are in the 20% range of the total distance they will work as desired.

Other than that, take a pitch (no rough after 50 % distance) or the flop or even a punch or reduced full shot.

Plus, practice is inevitable!

RSS