Forums

Help › Forums

score average dilemma...

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 3 2012 10:31 PM (4 replies)
  • remslug
    11 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2012 4:16 PM

I'm currently in the "master" tier and have noticed something I can't quite grasp. Recently I've scored -3, -3, -5, -2, & -6 on various stroke play games and yet my score average has remainded a constant 63.63. I realize that the average is over a section of games played, but if I posted 1 game at +4 I'm sure the average would immediately go up... So what do I have to do to get the average to drop a a tenth of a point... post several games of -10???

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2012 6:31 PM

Well, it's obvious, isn't it?  Of course, maybe if you took those forks off your eyes, you could see that?!?  lol   ; )   (Animal Magnetism is still my favourite, but it was also my first, so I've definitely got a personal bias there....)

Anyway, musical tangents aside.....it's not your score relative to par that counts, but rather your gross score (ie: 63, 34, etc.).  You'll need to score 31 or better for 9 holes and 63 or better for 18 in order to get your average lower. (9 hole scores get doubled when calculating averages, so a 32 = a 64 = higher than your average).  (hint: BPB is par 35 on both front and back).

If your average has remained constant lately, despite posting scores above it, then you've played a sufficient number of rounds at your current tier so that your average is now calculated as your best X out of your last Y scores, and will only go down from here.

Leastways, that's how it looks from your score history.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2012 7:04 PM

Keep shooting those 31's, it will go down. A 32 won't do it.

• remslug
    11 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 10:25 PM

Sounds easy when you say it fast :) ... thanx for the help!

• remslug
    11 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 10:31 PM

First of all the forks in the eyes is sotthing, and kind stylish if I don't mind saying so myself... The yelling is over yet another "missed by inches putt"! Thanx for the seplanation, it was helpful. Still frustrating to play a -5 round followed by a few -2/-3 rounds then a -6 round and no change in the average, but after all this is golf and frustration is what it's all about!!!

Remslug

RSS