Help › Forums

Getting Worse

Sat, Apr 7 2012 5:18 AM (27 replies)
  • Jayne27
    582 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 6:14 AM

bluebelly83:

Is anyone else getting worse?

I bought new clubs... play in smaller tournaments... and I think I'm getting worse.

My putting has been awful my last several rounds.

I just wondered if anyone else feels this way.  Maybe my standards are just higher now, but I am playing awful lately.  Misery loves company, right?

I'm getting better. The more I practice the better I get!

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 6:20 AM

I am pretty sure it runs in cycles.  I was proud this week that I broke 60 for the first time, shot a 59 on Best of famous and then it was like the switch was turned to the off position again.  It comes and it goes.

There are those that think that WGT controls what we shoot as we play, I don't subscribe to that belief but I do think that if we went back and really examined what we do, we would see that those times when we do really well it is because we don't really have anything else on our minds and we focus more on the game at hand.  Lots of times I want to blame WGT until I start analyzing what I am doing and most of the time I take simple shots for granted and don't really apply myself to the game as I should to get better scores.

just my 2 coppers.....

• manabouttown11
    573 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 6:37 AM

phiber:

I am pretty sure it runs in cycles.  I was proud this week that I broke 60 for the first time, shot a 59 on Best of famous and then it was like the switch was turned to the off position again.  It comes and it goes.

There are those that think that WGT controls what we shoot as we play, I don't subscribe to that belief but I do think that if we went back and really examined what we do, we would see that those times when we do really well it is because we don't really have anything else on our minds and we focus more on the game at hand.  Lots of times I want to blame WGT until I start analyzing what I am doing and most of the time I take simple shots for granted and don't really apply myself to the game as I should to get better scores.

just my 2 coppers.....

+1

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 6:38 AM

phiber:
    just my 2 coppers.....

And a good 2 coppers, Phiber. Ever sit down to play when you're in a bad mood? Then make a shot that didn't go as planned and the bad mood gets worse? Then start taking it out on anything close, like WGT?  LOL  A regular occurrence.  ;-)

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 7:25 AM

YankeeJim:

phiber:
    just my 2 coppers.....

And a good 2 coppers, Phiber. Ever sit down to play when you're in a bad mood? Then make a shot that didn't go as planned and the bad mood gets worse? Then start taking it out on anything close, like WGT?  LOL  A regular occurrence.  ;-)

I couldn't count all the times YJ, it was the closest thing I had to blame my own inabilities on, my wife wasn't in the room!!  ;)  WGT has someone sitting there at a tube watching me play and doing everything in their power to Pi$$ me off.  ;)

Yep, the meter does skip occasionally, but with a little "self training" one learns to let that shot go by and go for another.  My biggest mistake is not taking the time to really look at the shot, figure the wind and where I want to hit on the green, I get anxious to get the putter out of the bag and I am 200 yards from the green.  It is amazing how much better I shoot when my  mind is clear and and I take my time.  I know I will never be a BIB or a Jake, but one thing is sure, I can have my personal satisfaction of doing better if I take my time.

• macscrubbler
    1,790 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 7:30 AM

hi 

i have rented a taylor driver   and found the swing meter too fast to begin with. i then rented the ping G20 driver and then eureka!..

As soon as i had levelled up enough i bought the  ping G20 clubs and irons and they have a much slower swing without sacrificing distance and I  and have not looked back since

The problems may be with the standard of balls you  play with..i find the WGT balls which start at 64 credits are very decent 1st upgrade balls but too be truthful the WGT G13 S vapour balls  at 124 credits  are the best balls ive used and that includes the big brands such as nike and callaway.

i was a bit sceptical about buying the Nike method putter but it is all that the advertising boasts .. smoothness of the putt is incredible .. although these upgrades may cost a lot of credits, there are lots of free' trial offer' credits to be found  within the WGT  site, and many of them have no initial or future  cost.

i have earned over 8000 credits, up to now ....i can now thump the ball into the water with impunity..i hope the above hints are of use to you

• Rave01
    53 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 7:35 AM

Jayne just like real golf you get an attack of the heebies now and then. just play some alternate shot games and you will shake it off.

I've sort of stuck at a level for ages then have a run of hot scores. so it will pass.

Cheers Bob

• Steve442
    710 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 8:11 AM

phiber:

just my 2 coppers.....

I couldn't agree more. Like most things in life you get out what you put in. This is ONLY a game but to achieve good scores you need to apply yourself and concentrate. When something goes wrong you need to analyse it so that you don't repeat the same mistake. Take notes if you feel the need. Blaming WGT for your own bad scores is simply a cop out.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 9:15 AM

Steve442:

phiber:

just my 2 coppers.....

I couldn't agree more. Like most things in life you get out what you put in. This is ONLY a game but to achieve good scores you need to apply yourself and concentrate. When something goes wrong you need to analyse it so that you don't repeat the same mistake. Take notes if you feel the need. Blaming WGT for your own bad scores is simply a cop out.

Couldn't agree more... There are times I play really well, take a break, then come back and my timing has all gone south. Then I have to concentrate harder to try to get it back.

The thing that kills me is how many people blame their faults, or as I call it sloppy finger or yips, on the meter. There are only a very few times mine actually acts up and usually that has more to do with my virus program updating then WGT. When there are a lot of people are on it does have a tendency to stutter a bit more but nothing that isn't manageable. Instead of paying attention to the entire down swing of the meter I concentrate on the area  just before it gets close to my marks which helps me not to yip it as much. I'll be the first to admit when I yip or sloppy it.

Most of the people I have played with that blame the meter are using the fastest swing clubs and I feel they just don't want to admit, oops I missed it. If mine does start to get more choppy then I use the Flash player global settings during the game to delete the data and it usually smooths out to a better degree. To me half the fun of the game is figuring out how to effectively get out of the situations you put yourself in, just as in real golf.

• Topcat488
    172 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 9:45 AM

I vote with the original poster,  getting worse.

RSS