Help › Forums

Wedges and Bunkers

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 11 2012 4:45 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • RapidEntry2012
    10 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 8:59 AM

Which wedges are the best to use, and when do I use a 54 or 60 etc, I can't see any forum posts for this question. And still struggling to work out how to play out of a bunker to get close to the pin, I either hit it so it stays in the bunker or I hit too far out or too short, so therefore well away from the pin.

A reply for both questions would be appreciated.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 9:59 AM

hi

any premium wedges are very very good. it depends what you prefer, bs, control, little bit of runj when needed.

i prefer clevelands, but that's just me.

-wgticon

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:03 AM

It's trial and error really. When something works make a note. Once you get the hang of what each wedge shot does you're half way there.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 11:04 AM

Flops and pitches are good shots to use. Be careful of using partial swings, not all clubs react the same way with them.

This thread should help you and if you search for "Sand Trap" you can get more good discussions.  GL

• RapidEntry2012
    10 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2012 1:18 PM

All good responses and I will try them all out, thx to you all.

• tattoo68
    37 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2012 3:49 PM

Hi

I use Cleveland wedges 52,56 and 60..If the ball isn't too buried i'll play a flop shot with full spin using around around 5 yrds more power than the distance to the hole and about 5  to 7 feet to the left of the hole, it seems to work for me. Hope this helps you some.

Richard

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 4:27 AM

From easy green bunkers like the one in the Congressional CTTH, you may even pitch it out with 10%(?) allowance of length.

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 6:01 AM

Rapid

You've already had a few helpful pointers from some of the guys.  All i'd add is that the flop shot is hard to play from a bunker.  It''s kind of counter-intuitive, because we don't have a 'splash' shot option and as a low handicap golfer in real life I'd say the flop shot is the closest approximation in WGT, however for most traps a full or punch shot works best - yes that's right punch from a bunker - I only found that out from another thread because in real golf that's not a shot you'd play. Save the flop for really steep bunkers.

Add in a little practice time, make notes on how far the ball gets hit and you'll get the hang of the basics but remember the bunkers are different on every course.

Cheers and good luck

• RapidEntry2012
    10 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 11:53 AM

Cheers buddy and all, I'll give these ideas a go, and can you guys advise as to when I would use a 52 or 54 or 56 wedge in what circumstances, this is a response that will help me too.

Cheers

RapidEntry2012

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 3:24 PM

RapidEntry2012:
    can you guys advise as to when I would use a 52 or 54 or 56 wedge in what circumstances, this is a response that will help me too.

You don't have all three in your bag have you? 60° and 64° belong in this section, too.

Their usage is uniform, depending on the shot length you require, short approaches, green bunkers, pitches, flops & chips.

They are characterised by two numbers, shot lengths for full & punch shots. It's advisable to have nicely stepped clubs in the bag, also in regard of the PW in the iron set.

Many better players suggest three wedges instead of the original two, dropping the hybrid for this purpose.

60 - 80 - 100 yds are for the big boys with high-level irons,

50 - 77 - 93/98 is another sequence.

• PAGES
RSS