Forums

Help › Forums

Using spin

Sun, Apr 29 2012 5:23 AM (35 replies)
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 2:20 PM

You need to look at this aspect.  The loft of the club will always give you backspin.  By moving the dot towards the top you are in a sense decreasing backspin.  You are not providing topspin.  Thus, in a stiff head wind, by decreasing spin on the ball, you are decreasing lift generated by the ball. 

The lift thus generated is the result of the wind acting perpendicular to the ball flight. More spin, greater lift, less distance in a headwind.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 2:59 PM

jakestanfill7:
    Regarding SweetiePie's post above about using topspin on driver into a headwind, I don't believe this to be accurate either. 

Well Jake, it begins by saying "as a start" and in context of the question, it is I who is correct. You are basing your advise from a view of the master clubs you use along with the spin/distance balls you enjoy, which are not in the hands of all. The advise you give comes from your game viewpoint that can be of no use to a new player. Key words, "as a start". It allows the newer player a place to begin.

• TarheelsRule
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 3:09 PM
    SP is correct about spin on drivers. I would add this however, a driver hit with overspin on it will generally roll longer, on a course like Kiawah and St Andrews you will get a longer shot than a normal one. However if the course is soft or you are hitting uphill this might not be true. As normal in golf, your conditions have as much of an impact on your shot as do other things.
  • OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 3:26 PM

LOL at some defying physics.  I guess it certainly possible in virtual world of the WGT matrix.   Do you want the red pill or the blue?

A good read for those curious about spin and ball flight

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 4:09 PM

I full backspin all my drives up to 12 mph headwind on kia and BP (except 10 kia),  Def carries further, and you don't get much roll on kia/BP no matter what spin you use.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 5:17 PM

BolloxInBruges:

I full backspin all my drives up to 12 mph headwind on kia and BP (except 10 kia),  Def carries further, and you don't get much roll on kia/BP no matter what spin you use.

You know it! I likewise do so. But what is needed here most of the time is what a top player would do with the green driver, freebie irons & putter and free balls, as advice, beyond club/ball upgrades and what they do with same.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 6:20 PM

SweetiePie:
    But what is needed here most of the time is what a top player would do with the green driver, freebie irons & putter and free balls, as advice, beyond club/ball upgrades and what they do with same

Huh? What does this mean? Are you asking what a top player would do with KMart clubs?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 6:43 PM

YankeeJim:

SweetiePie:
    But what is needed here most of the time is what a top player would do with the green driver, freebie irons & putter and free balls, as advice, beyond club/ball upgrades and what they do with same

Huh? What does this mean? Are you asking what a top player would do with KMart clubs?

What it means, Jim, is that most of the people who play here use these clubs, and at one time so did you, so did BB and so did everyone else. If the top players can't remember what they did with the K-mart clubs, they should never offer advice on how to use them. If a Master needs advice, they are in the wrong tier. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 8:14 PM

SweetiePie:
    If a Master needs advice, they are in the wrong tier. 

So Masters, then, should know everything and not ask anybody anything or share what they know? C'mon SP-you been hanging out at Mahar's? That's plain silly to say. I've been a Master since last summer and am still asking others what they do in certain situations. By your logic I should still be in the pro tier.

My Master's advice to players using the freebies has always been to play this game like the real thing and I do remember using them in the beginning so I won't hesitate to advise anyone that asks. I do speak from experience because that's the way I played with them and I do remember how lame they were.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 8:24 PM

SweetiePie:
    Well Jake, it begins by saying "as a start" and in context of the question, it is I who is correct.

Your pretentiousness is truly amazing.  Never once did your original post make the first reference to starter equipment.  In fact I believe that the OP even uses a TaylorMade driver.  Do you think perhaps that "As a start" could aptly be interpreted as sweeping generalization like:

1. Rule #1for any player
    2. To begin with
    3. One should always
    4. Basically

I was simply trying to help a player by sharing my experiences.  Intent was never to make you look bad, but assuming that everyone understands your intended context of "As a start"  to mean if using starter clubs, is ludicrous.  Your rebuttal was laughable as I'm sure your next will bring a smile to my face too.

Always a pleasure meeting you here in the forums.  I think we'd make a great married couple; never a dull moment for sure!  :)

XOXOXO

Jake

RSS