Forums

Help › Forums

CTTH- Oakie & Andy

Sun, Apr 18 2010 4:54 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:52 PM

The new additions are exciting. I find the re-do at Andy's to be fun, fair and honest. However, while I appreciate Oakmont, I believe it could have been better with these regards. I, for one, find no enjoyment on any of our games that base successful outcome  only on good fortune, tomfoolery, witchcraft karma, etc. A little rub of the green is always welcome, for good or bad, but the Oakmont holes #3 and #9 are over the top...at least, over my top. I play OK, and after perhaps 25 rounds at both venues, I have only one heart thumper at Oak # 3 and zero at #9. These two holes screw up the pleasure of playing and none of our so called "greats" have provided any insight.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 4:08 PM

Really?  I actually enjoyed the Oakmont CTTH and I hate the CTTH competitions.  No nose twitch was needed as I found all the shots are pretty straight forward.

The one thing that I found most influences your round is the windset on both holes you mentioned.  Playing either with a good tailwind is very challenging, more so #3.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 4:44 PM

OaktheToke:
    Really?  I actually enjoyed the Oakmont CTTH and I hate the CTTH competitions.

I used to love them. I have one of the lowest potential best records around...last year. This year, until now, I haven't played in them. I have won more than several and so I know about what I speak and although I noticed you had a nice score at Oakmont, I doubt you will be able to better your good fortune. I have a decent handle on wind, aim and outcome. I appreciate your comments but am not clear on their value. Thanks.

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 6:17 PM

Okay SP... here you go...

#9 -  yes, it's a crap shoot for the wind, headwind is great... tailwind, forget about it.

#3 - not as bad as you may think.... any wind on the side of helping, think punch (and aim to the right of the flag pole in the distance) still a hard shot, but not nearly as much a roll of the dice as #9.

Hope this raises the enjoyment level even a little bit.

Lee

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 6:29 PM

My intentions weren't to question your ability or expertise.  I've seen your stats before and you have very impressive CTTH results.  I don't, and couldn't carry your sports bra in a CTTH.  Perhaps that's why I was surprised by your post.   I simply thought you would have enjoyed the gameplay more so.

Outside of being a new course that we'll see in stroke play soon, the main reason I like the Oakmont CTTH is because of the lack of opportunity to lose a ball.  Some of the other ones have me going through golf balls at a rapid pace.  I would rather just use the same GI-SDs I use in regular play and that can get quite pricey in some of the other CTTH comps.

A lot of it seems to be the luck of everything coming together for 9 consecutive shots and perhaps I lack the patience to go real low if not the ability.  But I would attribute this to any CTTH not just Oakmont.   I did lower my spot by 9 feet yesterday.

I apologize for not bringing any value other than to say that on #3 I've noticed my G10 Master 5 iron with no spin going the exact distance a few times void of any head or tail wind.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:53 PM

Thanks, very fine post...and see, it is of value to me, I shall focus on the 5 iron. Thanks, again.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 16 2010 9:02 PM

Okay SP... here you go...

#9 -  yes, it's a crap shoot for the wind, headwind is great... tailwind, forget about it.

#3 - not as bad as you may think.... any wind on the side of helping, think punch (and aim to the right of the flag pole in the distance) still a hard shot, but not nearly as much a roll of the dice as #9.

Hope this raises the enjoyment level even a little bit.

Lee

Many thanks, it is nice to know that these holes are very hard even for the best. You have made me almost sane again...almost...Thanks

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Sat, Apr 17 2010 6:57 AM
    #3, there is an upslope on the front of the green just to the right of the trap, 1/2 topspin with a 4 or 5 iron, depending on wind, can produce a good result within 10 ft - getting the power right is a work in progress. #9 - well, the man said it himself, when that hole arrives, if you've got a good round going, you either jump for joy or watch your heart sink (see: Me. Swear I get tailwind at least 80% ot the time coming to that hole.)
  • tuffgolfer
    21 Posts
    Sat, Apr 17 2010 11:26 AM

SweetiePie:
    A little rub of the green is always welcome, for good or bad, but the Oakmont holes #3 and #9 are over the top...at least, over my top.

The nemesis is #9. I am left staring at my monitor in astonishment at repeated trashed rounds because of that hole. As of this moment, I have NO IDEA what to do there. To manage to put together 8 good holes with a view to getting into the top-100 only to have that ONE hole destroy a round EVERY time.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Apr 17 2010 1:22 PM

tuffgolfer:
    The nemesis is #9.

Yes, it is a ball buster for you guys...for me, I'm not sure. #3 has been more kind today...I've had a couple of shots under 3 feet...one almost going down. Had a nice ace at #5 (;-)), have my potential best down to 22+ feet and still have not had a 'heart thumper' at #9...not even one. I don't have a clue as to what I am trying to figure out about that hole. I have tried everything except my wedges & putter.

• PAGES
RSS